Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding Wardrobe?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM
  • 16 Replies

I work in an office setting. Normally I would wear a knee length, one-piece dress to work. However, I will be pumping 2+ times a day when I return to work, and dresses do not seem ideal for this.

What type of clothing is good to wear to work for easy pumping?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I don't wear anything special... just dress pants and a nice top. I do wear a nursing bra though because it's easier to pull down.  I probably wouldn't wear a dress to pump in unless I could pull it off my shoulders. I just pull my shirt up and wear a hands free bra.

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I usually just wear whatever and strip down (top only) but I'm only working three shifts a week and only pump once during a shift.
dockyswifey
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Dress slacks and nice button down blouses.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Separates. Blouse, pullover shirt, t-shirt, sweater. Anything that can be pulled up. Slacks or skirt.

Fair warning: You may find you don't like how dresses look on your post-pregnancy body. I found they stopped fitting well and don't buy them anymore as a result. If the top fits, the bottom doesn't, and vice-versa.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Two pieces (suits), with either a loose or button blouse underneath, and a nursing bra.
KREX0914
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I hope that doesn't happen to me! 80% of my wardrobe is dresses! Imagine having to buy 80% of your clothes all over again ... Not good on the wallet. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Separates. Blouse, pullover shirt, t-shirt, sweater. Anything that can be pulled up. Slacks or skirt.

Fair warning: You may find you don't like how dresses look on your post-pregnancy body. I found they stopped fitting well and don't buy them anymore as a result. If the top fits, the bottom doesn't, and vice-versa.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Heh heh... I know. I've had to go through it the past couple of years thanks to middle-aged spread. Now I'm able to go shopping in my closet amongst old clothes.

My staple work wardrobe is a couple pair of pants (black, blue, and I need to pick up some new khaki) a few skirts and lots of different tops. That makes it really cheap to re-do.

Quoting KREX0914:

I hope that doesn't happen to me! 80% of my wardrobe is dresses! Imagine having to buy 80% of your clothes all over again ... Not good on the wallet. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Merrick17
by Corrine on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM
For dresses the only thing I've found that can work is a wrap dress, it's flexible and easy to pull the top down. I have done it once or twice. Usually though just a shirt, not button downs. Mine don't fit and they're uncomfy on the best of days lol. Nursing bras with everything. Makes it much easier to feed her before I leave, as soon as I get home and to pump.
Merrick17
by Corrine on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM
90% of my wardrobe doesn't fit still at 6 months pp. I'm short, so that doesn't help, and I'm a pear. My tops would fit except going from a 34 a/b to a 36c rules most of my fitted tops out. I just bought some slacks and shirts at old navy for the meantime. My maternity slacks for well too and you can't tell the difference. It felt much better to have clothes that fit, and wasn't too pricey. I did have to accept that I just wasn't going to look the way I did before. Even after I lose my last 15 lbs, I doubt a lot of my clothes will fit 'right'.

Quoting KREX0914:

Quoting gdiamante:

JackAttacks
by Angel on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

i find button downs to be super easy for pumping at work. i wear a hands free pumping bra under a nursing tank and then a button down over that. with either slacks, jeans, or skirts. occassionally i do wear a dress and its a bit of a pain in the butt, but sometimes mommy likes to feel pretty at work!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)