Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

questions

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 1:21 AM
  • 4 Replies
1. My son is almost 1 year and will probably self wean soon. I'm letting him continue his morning / late morning nursing as long as he wants. The question is, are my breasts going to be saggy? There is some extra skin, especially when I'm not full . . . what's going to happen when I stop nursing????

2. Did anyone else have problems losing weight while they were nursing? The couple of weeks that I lost 10 pounds were the weeks that my milk supply was at it's lowest. Once I got my milk up again, I gained the weight back . . . anyone else????
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MonicaYB
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 2:08 AM

A to #1: My daughter weaned herself at about 16 months (right before my son was born), however, my son, who is now 16 months, has absolutely no interest in weaning! so, unless you don't mind nursing him ( i certainly dont mind nursing my son), you may (or may not, depending on your son) want to try some more drastic measures of weaning!
and as for the sagging, mine do slightly! i am still producing milk, but certainly not as much as in the beginning (i was a 34 F then, and now am a 32 C/D), so i have ALOT of extra skin. I can just about fold my boobs! lol! I do alot of working out, some intense, so, my muscle wall is still intact and in shape, but i doubt they are ever going to have that "perk" that they did before! lol!

A to # 2: I felt like nursing so much was what helped me to lose the weight so quickly. as long as you follow a healthy diet, drink PLENTY of water, and nurse him regularly (if you're supplementing, that will decrease your milk production), you should hopefully be able to control your weight gain.
But,  don't forget that sometimes other factors, like birth control, and depression, can have an impact on weight gain.

Hope this helps!

Be blessed!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 23, 2007 at 2:12 AM

You might be saggy, you might not be. But that has nothing to do with breastfeeding and everything to do with having been pregnant. If you're genetically predisposed to sag, you will do no matter whether you breastfed or bottle fed.

As to the weight...also normal to have problems losing. Weight Watchers has a great program for nursing moms.

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

You might be saggy, you might not be. But that has nothing to do with breastfeeding and everything to do with having been pregnant. If you're genetically predisposed to sag, you will do no matter whether you breastfed or bottle fed.

As to the weight...also normal to have problems losing. Weight Watchers has a great program for nursing moms.

I agree. I did Weight Watchers with my first son and it worked great. With this one, I lost the weight right away.
bhwrn1
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 8:52 AM
For your second question, remember, breast feeding mothers need to keep 5-10 pounds of weight over their usual on their body to ensure they produce milk for their babies. Just a thought.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN