Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn vs Infant

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is about 3.5 months. At night he is sleeping 4-5hrs between nurses and he nurses 20min no hassle at all. As soon as the morning comes I am nursing him every 60-90 minutes during the day because he nurses 5-10minute then is done and can't be convinced to nurse longer or he gets mad. Is there anything I can do to get him to nurse longer so it's less frequent during the day or is this pretty much the way nursing is for an infant? I feel like there isn't much of a point putting on a shirt since my boob is out so often now lol

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Sounds pretty normal to me, may also be a growth spurt. I would invest in a sling or carrier if you don't already have one and prepare for constant wearing! ;-)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
That's pretty normal, good for him and for you at this point.
ShadowWaters
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure we already hit the 3 month growth spurt a few weeks back because for 3 days he nursed every hour around the clock. That was a tough 3 days for mommy.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Sounds pretty normal to me, may also be a growth spurt. I would invest in a sling or carrier if you don't already have one and prepare for constant wearing! ;-)

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Then I guess I'll stick with normal. ;-) Don't worry, it won't last forever, hang in there mama!

Quoting ShadowWaters:

I'm pretty sure we already hit the 3 month growth spurt a few weeks back because for 3 days he nursed every hour around the clock. That was a tough 3 days for mommy.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Sounds pretty normal to me, may also be a growth spurt. I would invest in a sling or carrier if you don't already have one and prepare for constant wearing! ;-)

ShadowWaters
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Thanks. I almost gave up but I wanted to be able to say we made it 1/4 of the way. Things are so much easier and I'm just keeping my eyes on the goal of halfway to a year.

Quoting K8wizzo: That's pretty normal, good for him and for you at this point.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM

All sounds pretty normal. The rest of the world is more interesting.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM
If it makes you feel better, my ds did the opposite-- a couple of minutes every 3 hrs during the day and then longer feedings every hour start to start at night. I started latching him on every hour during daylight so I could get 2-3 hr breaks at night.

You're doing a great job! :) Nursing breaks = fb and cm time and resting for a busy mama.

Quoting ShadowWaters:

Thanks. I almost gave up but I wanted to be able to say we made it 1/4 of the way. Things are so much easier and I'm just keeping my eyes on the goal of halfway to a year.

Quoting K8wizzo: That's pretty normal, good for him and for you at this point.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Super normal. My 19 month old did the day time like that until she was 13 months :)
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Sounds normal, but I never kept such detailed records. I just nursed whenever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowWaters
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Haha we had weight gain issues so keeping detail records of everything baby did became very important for awhile. We've been able to relax about it now but I'm very aware of time spans after tracking his every move for most of his life.

Quoting polkaspots: Sounds normal, but I never kept such detailed records. I just nursed whenever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)