Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

51%

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My grandmother had 6 kids. She is now dying from breast cancer.

Had she breastfed each of her kids for at least 2 years she would have reduced her chance of getting breast cancer by 51%.

Sadly, she had all of her babies in an era where doctors gave new moms medicine to dry up their milk. She was told to not to even try because formula had just come out. It was marketed as being perfect for babies.

Smh.

However I recently shared this picture (along with my grandmothers stats) on my Facebook page. I have 3 young nieces who are all pregnant. They all read what I wrote and each of them commented that they were determined to breastfeed.
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I come out to a 36% decrease. My 100 months is 8.33 years times the 4.3. I understand how this is no promise but hey, I'll take a 36% reduction over my statistics otherwise.
Seximama23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Well I am screwed lol only nursed my first for 4 months and lately my youngest has been having 2-5 min nursing sessions and sleeping for like 2.5 hrs at a time...my boobs become overly engorged and I can only hand express so much. And he is 3 months
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Over and over again I always see tips on my fb page from the Cleveland Clinic about ways to reduce your risk of breast cancer and never once have I seen them include the advice to attempt to breastfeed if possible. I'm sure they don't want to offend women who don't have children or women who can't or don't want to breastfeed.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM
That is not even considering your new babe!!

When you read up on breast cancer statics it is frustrating. According to the national breast cancer's website, "Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die."

40,000 women die every year from this terrible terrible disease.

I personally know 8 women who have been diagnosed in the last 5 years. Ranging in ags from my grandmother (75) to early 40s! All of them at mothers or grandmothers, and none if them breastfed.

One of these women is the mom of a good friend of mine. She is currently on hospice and probably won't live to see her daughter get married in just 3 weeks.

It is all very sad and could have been prevented had doctors encouraged and helped these moms to breastfeed instead of giving them medicine to dry them up and pushing formula.

It makes me mad and frustrated.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I come out to a 36% decrease. My 100 months is 8.33 years times the 4.3. I understand how this is no promise but hey, I'll take a 36% reduction over my statistics otherwise.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like you have an oversupply babe!
I've totally been there and done that!
Try block feeding.

Nurse only on one side per feeding. If you are already doing that. Start usin the same side for more than one feeding. Nurse on the same side until the opposite side is so full you can't stand it.
Then switch sides and repeat.

Your supply will regulate and things will get better!!

You are almost over the hard part!

Also try going bra less. Just wear a tank with a built in bra. Take ice packs and wrap them around your swollen breast. This will help with discomfort.

Like I said it will get better once your supply regulates.

Quoting Seximama23: Well I am screwed lol only nursed my first for 4 months and lately my youngest has been having 2-5 min nursing sessions and sleeping for like 2.5 hrs at a time...my boobs become overly engorged and I can only hand express so much. And he is 3 months
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Also just because you didn't breastfeed for 10 years or 600 months, Lol doesn't mean you will get breast cancer.

You are trying and doing your best and that is what is important!!

Quoting Seximama23: Well I am screwed lol only nursed my first for 4 months and lately my youngest has been having 2-5 min nursing sessions and sleeping for like 2.5 hrs at a time...my boobs become overly engorged and I can only hand express so much. And he is 3 months
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Screw political correctness.
If hospitals like the Cleveland clinic posted about how breastfeeding reduces breast cancer then more people would at least try!!
And those of the older generation who didn't of thought they couldn't, would encourage the younger generation.

My grandmother is not offended by this fact. She knows she can't change the past, but she can help change the future.

The breastfeeding community has their work cut out to change the future. Breastfeeding was looked down upon and seen as subpar for so long, that it will take twice as long to fix that image.

But statics like this greatly help that.

Even if it offends some, it can greatly help others.

Sorry I am on a giant soap box today.

I will step down now...

Quoting mostlymaydays: Over and over again I always see tips on my fb page from the Cleveland Clinic about ways to reduce your risk of breast cancer and never once have I seen them include the advice to attempt to breastfeed if possible. I'm sure they don't want to offend women who don't have children or women who can't or don't want to breastfeed.
Seximama23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM
I cant find a bra tank to fit my huge boobies lol.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: It sounds like you have an oversupply babe!
Try block feeding.

Nurse only on one side per feeding. If you are already doing that. Start usin the same side for more than one feeding. Nurse on the same side until the opposite side is so full you can't stand it.

Also try going bra less. Just wear a tank with a built in bra. Take ice packs and wrap them around your swollen breast. This will help with discomfort.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Then I would just go without completely. The bra would have helped to keep the ice packs in.

But I would wrap ice packs in a receiving blanket then lay it on your chest.

Quoting Seximama23: I cant find a bra tank to fit my huge boobies lol.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: It sounds like you have an oversupply babe!
Try block feeding.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

They have found that that pill is known to cause breast cancer....that is why they dont give it anymore..I'm so sorry for her cancer, my dad has been struggling with his too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)