Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

DH thinks it's "weird"

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM
  • 17 Replies

So dh thinks it's weird that I bf in front of my other boys. I have 6 boys (my youngest being 6 weeks tomorrow, and the one that I bf) my other boys are 12, 10, 5, 3, 19months. My 3, and 5 year old were in the room with me when I was bf and dh says he thinks it's weird them watching me bf their brother. They weren't really watching, they were just in the room. Ntm if I am never supposed to feed in front of any of my other boys then I'm never got to see them, or watch them. I don't see what so strange about it. If one of my older boys starts starting then I tell them to knock it off, but usually it's not a problem. Idk what dh issue is?

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM
6 moms liked this
I was still nursing my son at 3. Your dh's problem is that he sees breasts as sexual objects, not the utilitarian baby feeding devices that they really are. Would he rather your children know them only as sex toys or would he like them to know and understand their true purpose? You can also ask him if he ever saw his mom as a sex object; likely not, and your boys feel the same about you. There is nothing wrong with children seeing nursing, nothing at all.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Idk, tell him you shouldn't have to run and hide from your kids just to feed your baby. Seeing breastfeeding isn't going to harm them, just instill in them that's how babies are fed. There is nothing sexual about breastfeeding in the minds of children, that is just an idea that has been wrongly instilled in the minds of teens and adults over the past 3 generations or so.

I would ask him what's so weird about feeding a baby as nature intended when or wherever he is hungry.;-)
kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

my son got to watch his sister be born since he didn't wake up in time via video.... that's alot "weirder" then a nursing mom!!! LOL

He's 10 and hell see me nurse his twin brothers when they are born, he saw me nurse his sister until a week before her third birthday, she turned 3 in dec.. and he knows boobs are for babies. he's never made a comment about it.

omiestutz
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

We got into an argument just a bit ago about it. He now says that he wants me to wear a nursibg cover when bf at home. I HATE trying to use a nursing cover when my lil ones are so young. I still have to watch/help him latch on that's hard to do with a nursing cover. I'll toss a blanket or something over me if someone walks in on me bf at church, but at home? That's crazy to me! I told him that our kids should learn that breast are for feeding babies, not about anything sexual. He told me that I don't understand because I've never been a boy. Really!

ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM
7 moms liked this
Tell him it's extra important that your sons see women behaving and caring for their young in a natural way so they don't become full grown men who are as ignorant as he is about nursing.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids, boys and girls, have watched me nurse the younger ones that come after them. They were taught first that breasts feed babies. Plain simple boring fact. Of course they'll learn that boobs are sexy. But they first learned breasts feed babies. SO MUCH EASIER than trying to tell a boy or man that those bikini boobs, *SURPRISE* feed babies.

It really bothers me that a husband wants to perpetuate the shaming of a breastfeeding mother, especially in her own home around her own children. I'm having my 5th baby in august and my boys will be 14 and 11, my girls 8 and 5, and I'm not the slightest bit worried about breastfeeding around them. For Petes sake, the baby feeds so constantly you'd either be hiding in a bedroom or under a cover nearly the whole day for weeks on end if you didn't want anyone to see anything.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM
I have boys aged 10 and 5 and an 8 year old daughter. I breastfeed in front of them all the time. They think breasts are just to feed babies. None of them are uncomfortable with it. They think its weird that their stepmom hides in her room to nurse. To each their own.

In the beginning dh saw breasts as purely sexual. Now he sees them as strictly a food source for baby. His change in thinking has made him more comfortable with my insistence to nurse wherever baby is hungry.
iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Just give him a little while. My stepson is 16 and for the first month I was nursing DH was all "my boobs". Since then he's knocked it off. Boobs are for food.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 5:29 AM
I think your husband has a problem if he's ever been turned on by his mother, which is what it seems like. I wouldn't argue about it if I were you. I'd just ignore him.

Quoting omiestutz:

We got into an argument just a bit ago about it. He now says that he wants me to wear a nursibg cover when bf at home. I HATE trying to use a nursing cover when my lil ones are so young. I still have to watch/help him latch on that's hard to do with a nursing cover. I'll toss a blanket or something over me if someone walks in on me bf at church, but at home? That's crazy to me! I told him that our kids should learn that breast are for feeding babies, not about anything sexual. He told me that I don't understand because I've never been a boy. Really!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
You are 100% right, he is 200% wrong! Hold your ground. It is ridiculous to wear a cover in your own home!

Quoting omiestutz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)