Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Anything I can do to help this?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM
  • 9 Replies
My guy literally nurses from the time he wake up, usually about 10-11am until about 3pm when he takes a nap for two hours and then does the same until we go to bed at night between 10-11pm then overnight only wakes a couple times to quickly nurse while half asleep. I get uncomfortable at night and wake and he won't even wake up to nurse but yet all day long he can't be taken off the breast without losing it.

He's 2 weeks old and I'm hoping he grows out of this soon?
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:25 AM
That's a lot of nursing. Was he checked for ties?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:19 AM
This. How are diapers? Can you take pic of the inside of his upper lip and of his mouth open while crying?

Quoting polkaspots: That's a lot of nursing. Was he checked for ties?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:05 AM
At this stage nursing patterns change frequently. Uou are also about to enter the first big growth spurt at three weeks and he may want to be attached 24/7. This is normal. Diaper count will tell the tale-you want at least six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Poopy diapers count as two.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Since he's sleeping so much at night, that's not unusual that he's nursing so much during the day. He is busy establishing your milk supply right now. Is diaper count ok? Weight?

carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM
He's tongue tied I'm pretty sure, I'm working my way through that whole process as far as getting him I'm to see an ENT. He also just seems to have a very strong sucking impulse but he won't take a pacifier at all so I'm the pacifier

Quoting K8wizzo: This. How are diapers? Can you take pic of the inside of his upper lip and of his mouth open while crying?

Quoting polkaspots: That's a lot of nursing. Was he checked for ties?
carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Diapers are fine, weight check showed he had gained 5oz in 5 days. Much of it is that he's using me as a pacifier, which my dd did, but he seems to have even more of a sucking impulse than she did and literally wants to be at the breast all the time

Quoting MusherMaggie: At this stage nursing patterns change frequently. Uou are also about to enter the first big growth spurt at three weeks and he may want to be attached 24/7. This is normal. Diaper count will tell the tale-you want at least six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Poopy diapers count as two.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Remember, YOU are never the pacifier. The pacifier is a replacement for you. **smile**

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Get that tongue checked, but nursing is random and sometimes constant in newborns

carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Having such a tough time getting the pedi to give a referral, and in our small town pedis are slim pickings- add to that my vaccine preferences and we are kind of black listed. I'm searching for a way around the referral

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Get that tongue checked, but nursing is random and sometimes constant in newborns

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)