Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

update on milk supply with 24 week preemies, and little story about how my milk supply got fixed.

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

After not being able to get more then a drop of milk all day between hand expressing and the pumps, my daughter and I talked about how I needed her to help me get my milk supply in so I could start feeding her brothers soon because they were too little to suck.

I'm glad she only recently weaned, because she was willing to do it for them, and still likes boob milk, I had her wean due to the pregnancy and she didn't have an issue with the milk. I even made her a deal if she wanted to keep nursing after my milk came in for a while to help get the supply up, I'd be okay letting her nurse for a few more months until she wanted to quit in return for her help.

She only nursed for maybe 2-3 minutes top and had her fill... but that's all it took. I was able to get half an oz.

Second time I got another half ounce with out her... and third time, my milk is half colostrum and half milk and i got an ounce.

Now I just need to keep stimulating so I can get full let downs and let my daughter help me out on and off next week just to keep stimulation going that's not just a pump to get it working well enough that i'll start responding to the pump once my milk is actually in.

I'm so relieved to know my milk is coming in since with a preemie 24 week gestation and a c-section they were expecting it to take a lot longer then a day. LOL

I had my c-section at 2pm on saturday and I was able to pump once and got 2oz of colostrum but the night nurse wouldn't give me any pain killer more then motrin which resulted in such a stress on my body my body stopped even giving me drops. I tried one dose of reglan to see if that would help once we got pain management but it just made me have IBS symptoms so they stopped.

After talking to the nicu people in san antonio and my OB here, they suggested having my 3 year old nurse to see if she could stimulate my milk back into action.

I talked it over with my daughter, explained why I was asking to see if she'd still want to nurse (only reason it worked is we recently weaned and she kept asking for boobs occasionally so I know she still had an interest.)

But it worked. my milk is switching from colostrum to milk and i have about 3-4oz of colostrum saved up for the babies with the bags marked with the pump schedule, i got freezer stuff ready to go for transport for tomorrow to get it to the nicu, and my milk supply is starting to come in now.

I'm still not having big powerful let downs yet, but it's slowly coming in and getting there, so I'm happy with the results and I really think the combo of having my pain controlled so i could function. (I'm not taking much, a motrin for swelling and one low dose loratab every 4 hours just to be functional, the motrin enough brought me to my knees, I couldn't survive on that. My doctor flat out told me not to suffer on purpose - that's when I pointed out I ASKED the night nurse to fix the situation and she refused telling me I was supposed to have a high pain tolerance.... but that's a different story.)

Either way, my OB fixed my pain situation so my body could relax enough to do the job, then we just had to trigger my body into knowing it needed to produce milk and my daughter did her job... and now, I think were back to a normal 2-3 hour pump schedule.. the babies don't need much milk since they'll be starting them on 2cc's for a feed for a while just until they make sure they bellies can handle stuff. But they are thinking probably tues/wed.

The babies update :

Zeke is currently OFF the occilator and on the regular ventilator at 30% oxygen. he was doing well - they are maintaining all their own vitals for the most part with minor assistance, no drugs needed for blood pressure or heart kind of a deal. they are doing pretty well for 24 week preemies, so i'm still praying, hoping, and waiting.

I'll call in the morning and get another update, but they said they seem pretty stable and unless something weird happens they should be fine over night. which is a REALLY good sign that they lasted 24-48 hours wiht out any major issues.

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:03 AM
Great update and excellent job on the milkmaking and pumping. I want to punch that nurse for you! I have a really high pain tolerance, too, and motrin was not enough after my vaginal births (with tearing and stitches). Do stay on top of your meds and don't let the pain get ahead of you. For me, by the time it feels bad it's already past the point of being able to control it easily.
kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:14 AM

My doctor told me I didn't need to be super woman and it was okay to need pain meds for a few days after a major traumatic surgery like a c-section really is.

I have to travel and do a lot of stuff and he wants me to be healthy and take it easy, but be pain free enough to have my body work well for the twins.

I should get to see them tonight.

Quoting K8wizzo: Great update and excellent job on the milkmaking and pumping. I want to punch that nurse for you! I have a really high pain tolerance, too, and motrin was not enough after my vaginal births (with tearing and stitches). Do stay on top of your meds and don't let the pain get ahead of you. For me, by the time it feels bad it's already past the point of being able to control it easily.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:11 AM
2 moms liked this
That is amazing! Talk with their nurses about doing a blanket exchange (don't know if you can yet with how early they are, but maybe soon).... you put a clean receiving blanket in your bra (one for each of them) for a little while so that it smells like you. When you go see them, they get that blanket, either wrapped in it or covered with it (that's the part you might not be able to do yet) so that they can smell that very familiar and comforting mom smell that they knew on the inside. You take the blankets they were wrapped in home with you and put them over your shoulders while you pump so that you can smell your babies (it's a powerful sense to help with letdown and output). Then, wash and repeat. Doing that was so helpful for us when Andy was in the nicu. I wanted to kiss the nurse who explained it!

Quoting kajira:

My doctor told me I didn't need to be super woman and it was okay to need pain meds for a few days after a major traumatic surgery like a c-section really is.

I have to travel and do a lot of stuff and he wants me to be healthy and take it easy, but be pain free enough to have my body work well for the twins.

Quoting K8wizzo: Great update and excellent job on the milkmaking and pumping. I want to punch that nurse for you! I have a really high pain tolerance, too, and motrin was not enough after my vaginal births (with tearing and stitches). Do stay on top of your meds and don't let the pain get ahead of you. For me, by the time it feels bad it's already past the point of being able to control it easily.

kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM

im actually getting arrangements to stay near the nicu in the ronald mcdonald house, it's a 6 hour round trip for us so i can't go home every day.

My daughter is the reason my milk came in. shes my little miracle. She's so sweet and cares so much about her brothers. I flat out told her why I was asking her if she'd nurse to help get my milk to work again for her brothers and she got everything and it worked. I'm so proud of her for helping htem.

I'm not sure she really wants to keep nursing but i told her since I kind of pushed her to wean for the pregnancy, if she still wanted to nurse more, i won't stop her if she's still got a desire to nurse. She'd been asking for the last couple of weeks on and off if she could... she didn't seem all that into it when we nursed tonight but she did her job to get the milk flowing, and that's all it took was once. LOL

I'm going to be packing some things when I go home to prepare to drive up there. I'll take some recieving blankets with me and stuff my bra with them while I head up that way. It's a good idea. I was thinking of doing a stuffed animal in my bra. my sister made them two little minions - a batman and superman... and they are small enough I could put in my bra. (but big enough not to be a choking hazard.)

Quoting K8wizzo: That is amazing! Talk with their nurses about doing a blanket exchange (don't know if you can yet with how early they are, but maybe soon).... you put a clean receiving blanket in your bra (one for each of them) for a little while so that it smells like you. When you go see them, they get that blanket, either wrapped in it or covered with it (that's the part you might not be able to do yet) so that they can smell that very familiar and comforting mom smell that they knew on the inside. You take the blankets they were wrapped in home with you and put them over your shoulders while you pump so that you can smell your babies (it's a powerful sense to help with letdown and output). Then, wash and repeat. Doing that was so helpful for us when Andy was in the nicu. I wanted to kiss the nurse who explained it!
Quoting kajira:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:24 AM
RMH = home for now. :) You are doing such a great job! Hang in there and keep posting and updating. Your kids are blessed to have you as their mom!

Quoting kajira:

im actually getting arrangements to stay near the nicu in the ronald mcdonald house, it's a 6 hour round trip for us so i can't go home every day.

My daughter is the reason my milk came in. shes my little miracle. She's so sweet and cares so much about her brothers. I flat out told her why I was asking her if she'd nurse to help get my milk to work again for her brothers and she got everything and it worked. I'm so proud of her for helping htem.

I'm not sure she really wants to keep nursing but i told her since I kind of pushed her to wean for the pregnancy, if she still wanted to nurse more, i won't stop her if she's still got a desire to nurse. She'd been asking for the last couple of weeks on and off if she could... she didn't seem all that into it when we nursed tonight but she did her job to get the milk flowing, and that's all it took was once. LOL

I'm going to be packing some things when I go home to prepare to drive up there. I'll take some recieving blankets with me and stuff my bra with them while I head up that way. It's a good idea. I was thinking of doing a stuffed animal in my bra. my sister made them two little minions - a batman and superman... and they are small enough I could put in my bra. (but big enough not to be a choking hazard.)

Quoting K8wizzo: That is amazing! Talk with their nurses about doing a blanket exchange (don't know if you can yet with how early they are, but maybe soon).... you put a clean receiving blanket in your bra (one for each of them) for a little while so that it smells like you. When you go see them, they get that blanket, either wrapped in it or covered with it (that's the part you might not be able to do yet) so that they can smell that very familiar and comforting mom smell that they knew on the inside. You take the blankets they were wrapped in home with you and put them over your shoulders while you pump so that you can smell your babies (it's a powerful sense to help with letdown and output). Then, wash and repeat. Doing that was so helpful for us when Andy was in the nicu. I wanted to kiss the nurse who explained it!

Quoting kajira:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I glad your OB seems to be doing a good job now supporting your recovery and helping you with your lactation plans. I recall he was a major ass hat when it came to managing your pregnancy and your labor and delivery plans. You just need to get out of the hospital and over to San Antonio so you can be by your babies and do your thing. You're a strong woman and there is little doubt those twins of yours are a chip off the old block. Sounds like your dd is helping with stimulation. You're on the right track. And I'm so pleased to hear the NICU is on board with the plan to avoid milk substitutes, as they should be, for fear of NEC. We've had a few preemie moms lately whose NICU flat out refused to use donor milks.
MinaPR
by Mina on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM

That's a great update! I'm very happy your boys are doing well. It is adorable your DD wanted to help (even if it was only because she wanted booby milk, LOL!); it means she'll be a great big sister!!! My children and I will continue praying for your family!!! God bless you all!!

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM
The boys are lucky to have such a good big sister.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Following & still praying.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:21 AM

thank you for the update! Thoughts and prayers are still with you and your boys! BIG hugs for their big sister for helping!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)