Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Some pelvic/hip questions..

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

I didn't feel this way after our son, so I have some questions. Dd is almost 3 months now. We're successfully EBF. She was 9.2lbs at birth. Around mid-pregnancy (a little after finding out we were pregnant) my hips starting hurting, shifting and "cracking". When I brought it up to my OB he said my body knows what to do and it was getting ready. Fast forward to 3 months PP, and my hips/pelvis is hurting just like before. I'll occasionally get cramps in my pelvic region that come out of no where.

I've read a little about this and it said the relaxin hormone is still in my system thanks to BF. I definitely have no plans to stop BF, but I wonder if other moms have felt this? Ds wasn't BF so I'm not sure if it's related or perhaps something else.

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Relaxin goes away by around 12 weeks pp.  If your hips/pelvis came out of alignment during pregnancy I'd seek chiropractic care.

besosfantasies
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I'm so upset right now. Sometimes the pain is so much that I cry. While pregnant I stretched in bed and felt/heard a pop in my left hip. It hurt so bad to walk for the rest of the day and a few days later. I trusted that my OB was confident that it was normal because of my big baby.. but now some days are just hard.

I no longer have pregnancy medicaid. In MS with a family of four, you cannot make more than 400$ in order to qualify. And Obamacare/BCBS is nearly 300$ for myself alone. We're in an extremely tight spot and even have to shut off a few bills in order to budget. I feel defeated.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Relaxin goes away by around 12 weeks pp.  If your hips/pelvis came out of alignment during pregnancy I'd seek chiropractic care.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

A lot of chiropractors will work with you.

It is normal for your hips to go out of alignment even with small babies, I had issues with my 6lbs 11oz baby, not with my 8lbs 2 oz baby, then again with my 9lbs 5oz baby, and my 7lbs 8 oz baby.  Pregnancy medicaid wouldn't cover chiropractic care anyways, a lot of insurance companies do not.

Mine does not, and we have to pay out of pocket.  I have to have chiropractic care though, as I have a birth defect, so pregnant or not my back gets out of alignment.  All the chiropractors I've had (we move every couple of years) have made payment plans for us. 

Quoting besosfantasies:

I'm so upset right now. Sometimes the pain is so much that I cry. While pregnant I stretched in bed and felt/heard a pop in my left hip. It hurt so bad to walk for the rest of the day and a few days later. I trusted that my OB was confident that it was normal because of my big baby.. but now some days are just hard.

I no longer have pregnancy medicaid. In MS with a family of four, you cannot make more than 400$ in order to qualify. And Obamacare/BCBS is nearly 300$ for myself alone. We're in an extremely tight spot and even have to shut off a few bills in order to budget. I feel defeated.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

besosfantasies
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM

That's reassuring to hear. We'll have to wait until sometime next month to check into it :\

Thank you!

Quoting JadeTigr7:

A lot of chiropractors will work with you.It is normal for your hips to go out of alignment even with small babies, I had issues with my 6lbs 11oz baby, not with my 8lbs 2 oz baby, then again with my 9lbs 5oz baby, and my 7lbs 8 oz baby.  Pregnancy medicaid wouldn't cover chiropractic care anyways, a lot of insurance companies do not.Mine does not, and we have to pay out of pocket.  I have to have chiropractic care though, as I have a birth defect, so pregnant or not my back gets out of alignment.  All the chiropractors I've had (we move every couple of years) have made payment plans for us. 

Quoting besosfantasies:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I felt crippled after my last baby. Didn't know if it was postpartum osteoarthritis, bone cancer, didn't know except it hurt like hell, my ankles and hips especially. I found a forum on the Internet of other postpartum breastfeeding moms with the same mysterious complaints and as the thread spanned a few years many of them came back saying they'd been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiencies. On a whim I started taking vitamin D and it's been like a miracle. I told my midwife if vitamin D was ever outlawed I'd be buying it on street corners. I do wish, and suggest, that you get your D levels checked before supplementing.
besosfantasies
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I have read the same thing! Interesting..

Quoting mostlymaydays: I felt crippled after my last baby. Didn't know if it was postpartum osteoarthritis, bone cancer, didn't know except it hurt like hell, my ankles and hips especially. I found a forum on the Internet of other postpartum breastfeeding moms with the same mysterious complaints and as the thread spanned a few years many of them came back saying they'd been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiencies. On a whim I started taking vitamin D and it's been like a miracle. I told my midwife if vitamin D was ever outlawed I'd be buying it on street corners. I do wish, and suggest, that you get your D levels checked before supplementing.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM
There are words to describe how much pain I was in. Like you I was in a jam with insurance and thars how I ended up just buying the vitamin D. I figured if it didn't help I'd only be out a few bucks. But it DID work. I don't want to give you false hope but it's worth a try. I live in NE Ohio were we only see sun from May until September. And the summers are so hot I'm usually staying in the AC so vitamin D deficiency would be no shock.

Quoting besosfantasies:

I have read the same thing! Interesting..

Quoting mostlymaydays: I felt crippled after my last baby. Didn't know if it was postpartum osteoarthritis, bone cancer, didn't know except it hurt like hell, my ankles and hips especially. I found a forum on the Internet of other postpartum breastfeeding moms with the same mysterious complaints and as the thread spanned a few years many of them came back saying they'd been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiencies. On a whim I started taking vitamin D and it's been like a miracle. I told my midwife if vitamin D was ever outlawed I'd be buying it on street corners. I do wish, and suggest, that you get your D levels checked before supplementing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN