Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My pediatrician always makes me feel my infant is overweight!!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
Every time I take my son to the doc she reads the growth graph and tells me he is gaining too fast! She says I should only feed him every 2-3 hours. Well he is EBF so if feed whenever...she said he is gaining an ounce and half a day...his birth weight was 8 lb 14 oz..now eight weeks old 13 lb 5 oz...should I stop feeding so much? Is she right? Either way I love my chubby baby!! 😜
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this
No!! Breast fed babies can bulk up quick but I'm hear to tell you, as the mother of 5 breast fed babies, that they lean out quick and appear to 'fall' off their growth chart after about 10 months. Do not limit baby's feedings. Docs can be morons. They get so little education on the breast fed baby's growth patterns.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
No mama, ignore the doctor and those growth charts. Feed the baby on demand. My first three jumped quickly to the 90ish percentile as babies and leaned our quickly as well.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this
This, but sometimes the thinning out takes little longer! ;-)

Just keep feeding that baby as he demands it, he knows when he is hungry, his pediatrician does not.

Quoting norahsmommy: No!! Breast fed babies can bulk up quick but I'm hear to tell you, as the mother of 5 breast fed babies, that they lean out quick and appear to 'fall' off their growth chart after about 10 months. Do not limit baby's feedings. Docs can be morons. They get so little education on the breast fed baby's growth patterns.
mikkosmommy
by Jessica on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Feed on demand and ignore your dr. My baby was 13lbs 5 oz at his 2 month appt, just like yours but he started out 7lbs 13oz so he gained even more... Also my baby before this one started out 6lbs 10oz and was over 14 lbs by his 2 month appt!!! But at a year he was barely gaining so don't worry and feed on demand!
I love my chubby babies too :)
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I swear 75% of peds are as knowlagable on breastfeeding as a frog!!
My ds first pedi told me i should supplement with enfamil a.r. "to put some meat on his bones" then After a few months of me EBF i was told he is off the charts & need to slow down, lol. Do what you are doing!! Kids slim out when they become mobile. Go mommy milk!!!
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

No she's being an idiot lol. My son was 7lbs 7oz at birth and at 8 weeks was 12.02lbs, and the doc just said "He really hit that growth spurt, huh?!" and giggled lol. They often fluctuate on how much they gain with a steady overall gain until they're mobile. As long as he's not like 20lbs at 8 weeks or losing too much weight, I would just let it slide right off your back. A 5lb gain is really not that bad for 2 months of growth. Feed that baby when he is hungry :)

MumB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok great this is what I thought so I'll just keep feeding as normal...I mean this kid wouldn't let me put him on a diet if I wanted to! Lol...thx guys for the reassurance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Just keep doing what you're doing! In a few months or so, he'll start to become mobile and the gain will slow down.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN