Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I don't know what I am going to do :(

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

Up until today my supply has been amazing and when I wwould pump id get 2-4 oz per size. I'm currenly pumping and have been for 10 min and I might have 1/2 an ounce per side :( This weekend we went to visit my family out of state and i'm not comforable with nursing in front of anyone so majority of the time i'd pump and feed. Did i totally just mess up my supply from this weekend? What do i need to do to correct it? I've noticed my daughter almost 2 months old has been extrememly fussy today. Am I not feeding her enough possibly? (I've nursed her all day.) I dont know what I am going to do if I can't my supply up again. I've drank fluids today not water per say but tea and pop. (Yes i know not the best choice and please dont judge me on that) I just don't want to lose my supply and have to give her formula. I have different things to take that a friend gave me but I have no clue how to take them like brewers yeast some kind of drops and a pill form of the drops. I need help. Also i've been on over load stress today. My husband went back to work today and the baby was incredibly fussy and my son was needing a lot of attention too and I just felt like I couldn't do it all. I'm so heartbroken right now and depressed and my husband isn't much help b/c he doesn't know what to say to me and I just need him to be here for me but he is just not saying anything to me or showing affection. And to top it all off just  now when I finished I only had half an ounce. I went go freeze what I pumped and spilled half of it!!! I'm in tears now :'''''( This is just awful. Please give me tips, advice, encouragement anything. 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:39 AM
Drink lots of water and eat frequently. Nurse as much as baby wants and lay off the pumping and bottle giving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:41 AM
Nurse nurse nurse. In all liklihood your milk supply will bounce right back. Stress definitely had an impact, so try to relax.
Steph_G.
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:49 AM

My milk has often gone through cycles where I have a low pump for a few days and then it gets better. Do you need milk on a daily basis? If not then I  would just stop pumping for a few days, get it out of your mind. Even if the lack of feeding over the weekend hurt your supply then baby can get it back for you just let her nurse. And I wouldn't read too much into her fussiness, she just had a stressful weekend being around strange people and not being at home. It isn't uncommon for babies/kids to get through the weekend fine but then when they get home they are all fussy and out of sorts for a couple days as they process the change in routine. Her fussiness could very easily have nothing to do with the amount of milk she is getting from you, (which cannot be predicted by how much you are pumping). Deep breath you can do it :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Put baby to breast as much and as often as she wants. Your pump output today was within the normal range of 0.5 to 2 oz from both breasts combined, and that's for a missed feeding so if that was in between feedings, you're a rock star. After a weekend of mostly bottles, yes it's possible that your supply took a little hit but she can get it right back up by nursing. :) if there's another situation like this past weekend coming up, I'd work on getting comfortable nursing in public. As she gets older your pump output is naturally going to drop and it will be much more difficult for you to pump enough milk to exclusively bottle feed her, let alone the fact that you need to disappear every 2 hrs on the dot to go pump (were you pumping that often this weekend? If not, that's part of it.).

I don't think you need to take anything, just spend the day nursing at every wiggle and you'll be fine. Next step, practice nursing in front of a mirror so that you can see what everyone else would see. I wore nursing tanks under loose tops and whdn I was time to nurse I reached my hand under my shirt to unsnap my flap and pull it down, then brought baby up as I lifted my shirt, latched him on, and let the top shirt fall down to his lips. People standing a foot away from me had no idea he was nursing and would often ask to hold him, lol. :)
Analugojana
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Stop the bottles if you are with the baby. Your baby's fusiness could be the lovely start of a bottle preference and you dip in supply is not making it better. If you kep offering bottles she will prefer them completelu to the breast and end up refusing the breast. As pp said, nurse her, take a short nursing vacation, where yosu stay in bedwith heraandjust nurse at every wiggle. You should be fine in 24 hours. s
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM
What they all said. Also, get a sling or wrap so you can move around abd nurse the baby while tending to your older child.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
This!

Quoting K8wizzo: Put baby to breast as much and as often as she wants. Your pump output today was within the normal range of 0.5 to 2 oz from both breasts combined, and that's for a missed feeding so if that was in between feedings, you're a rock star. After a weekend of mostly bottles, yes it's possible that your supply took a little hit but she can get it right back up by nursing. :) if there's another situation like this past weekend coming up, I'd work on getting comfortable nursing in public. As she gets older your pump output is naturally going to drop and it will be much more difficult for you to pump enough milk to exclusively bottle feed her, let alone the fact that you need to disappear every 2 hrs on the dot to go pump (were you pumping that often this weekend? If not, that's part of it.).

I don't think you need to take anything, just spend the day nursing at every wiggle and you'll be fine. Next step, practice nursing in front of a mirror so that you can see what everyone else would see. I wore nursing tanks under loose tops and whdn I was time to nurse I reached my hand under my shirt to unsnap my flap and pull it down, then brought baby up as I lifted my shirt, latched him on, and let the top shirt fall down to his lips. People standing a foot away from me had no idea he was nursing and would often ask to hold him, lol. :)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM
What she said!!!

Quoting K8wizzo: Put baby to breast as much and as often as she wants. Your pump output today was within the normal range of 0.5 to 2 oz from both breasts combined, and that's for a missed feeding so if that was in between feedings, you're a rock star. After a weekend of mostly bottles, yes it's possible that your supply took a little hit but she can get it right back up by nursing. :) if there's another situation like this past weekend coming up, I'd work on getting comfortable nursing in public. As she gets older your pump output is naturally going to drop and it will be much more difficult for you to pump enough milk to exclusively bottle feed her, let alone the fact that you need to disappear every 2 hrs on the dot to go pump (were you pumping that often this weekend? If not, that's part of it.).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Quoting leann74016:

Up until today my supply has been amazing and when I wwould pump id get 2-4 oz per size. I'm currenly pumping and have been for 10 min and I might have 1/2 an ounce per side :(

The latter is a normal amount. The former was oversupply and generally won't be maintained.

This weekend we went to visit my family out of state and i'm not comforable with nursing in front of anyone so majority of the time i'd pump and feed. Did i totally just mess up my supply from this weekend?

No, just any stash you might have had.

What do i need to do to correct it?

Relax, just nurse. Done.

I've noticed my daughter almost 2 months old has been extrememly fussy today. Am I not feeding her enough possibly? (I've nursed her all day.)

Might be the start of teething. But "fussy" is the default setting for infants anyway.

I dont know what I am going to do if I can't my supply up again. I've drank fluids today not water per say but tea and pop. (Yes i know not the best choice and please dont judge me on that)

64 ounces LIQUID. Just not Jack Daniels, please. Tea and pop are FINE.. more dagnerous to your teeth and waistline than anything else.

I just don't want to lose my supply and have to give her formula. I have different things to take that a friend gave me but I have no clue how to take them like brewers yeast some kind of drops and a pill form of the drops. I need help.

No., you need to relax. You're FINE! There is NOTHING HERE TO WORRY ABOUT!

Also i've been on over load stress today. My husband went back to work today and the baby was incredibly fussy and my son was needing a lot of attention too and I just felt like I couldn't do it all. I'm so heartbroken right now and depressed and my husband isn't much help b/c he doesn't know what to say to me and I just need him to be here for me but he is just not saying anything to me or showing affection. And to top it all off just  now when I finished I only had half an ounce. I went go freeze what I pumped and spilled half of it!!! I'm in tears now :'''''( This is just awful. Please give me tips, advice, encouragement anything. 

RELAX RELAX RELAX. THere's NOTHING wroing here and NOTHING you need to do but STOP WORRYING. YOur pump amounts are now NORMAL.

YOu are TEXTBOOK PERFECT at this moment. So relax. Have a glass of wine to calm your nerves (yes it's safe) and take it easy. Watch some program you like onTV to get your mind off your worries, because there's NOTHING here to be concerned about for even the length of a commercial.

TLIF1281
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Brewers yeast! Lactation cookies, sweey potatoes, a lactation smoothie, and just keep pumping! Water, water, water!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN