Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need some real advise please

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM
  • 7 Replies

Im soo desperate for some advice that actually works to wean my son from BF.

I know I sound like the worse mother of the year but weaning slowly is not working.

I have tried eliminating a feeding a day and its just not cutting it. I have tried to get him to take other things to drink or eat or to just get his attention away and it doesnt work.

My son is almost 19 months old, Sam is super attached that I cannot tolerate it no more. Im so bored with BF (I know i feel terrible saying this) I work full time and once I pick him up till the next time I drop him off at daycare he is attached to me. I need some advice to get him to stop bf. He drinks everything from an open cup but refusing to drink milk, expressed milk. Please help.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
1. At 19 months you can limit him and say no.

2. Weaning slowly is for YOUR health. You could get mastitis if you do it too quickly.

3. The clinginess may not stop when you wean, just be aware of that. Some kids are like that. I have one like that. He has been that way from birth and while more independent now, he still is with me quite a bit at 4 years old. It isn't the nursing, it's his personality.

Good luck!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM
All of this!

Quoting YzmaRocks: 1. At 19 months you can limit him and say no.

2. Weaning slowly is for YOUR health. You could get mastitis if you do it too quickly.

3. The clinginess may not stop when you wean, just be aware of that. Some kids are like that. I have one like that. He has been that way from birth and while more independent now, he still is with me quite a bit at 4 years old. It isn't the nursing, it's his personality.

Good luck!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with the above.

In addition, i was talking with my pregnant cousin and sister. I remember my sister nursing her last child and she weaned him because she was tired of nursng and wanted her boobs back. He is now 5 (so that was 3 years later) and she regrets rushing it. Really it is a short period of time nursing in the long run. Remember too, that nursing is like thr best thing in the world to your child....better than ice cream and Disneyland, and a way to reconnect. So, finding other ways to comfort is important when weaning.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jenoon:

Im soo desperate for some advice that actually works to wean my son from BF.

I know I sound like the worse mother of the year but weaning slowly is not working.

I have tried eliminating a feeding a day and its just not cutting it. I have tried to get him to take other things to drink or eat or to just get his attention away and it doesnt work.

Unfortunatly it's that or you go away/chop off your breasts/be unavailable. There's no middle ground. Sorry.

My son is almost 19 months old, Sam is super attached that I cannot tolerate it no more. Im so bored with BF (I know i feel terrible saying this)

No, not terrible. I hated every minute of breastfeeding for 26 months. 

I work full time and once I pick him up till the next time I drop him off at daycare he is attached to me. I need some advice to get him to stop bf. He drinks everything from an open cup but refusing to drink milk, expressed milk. Please help.

To be honest, you're doing all that can be done. Unless you want to just go away for at least two weeks. Maybe three; I found that two weeks wasn't quitre enough (I used to ttravel ten days at a time for business and every time I went away it was like I hadn't been gone at all).

Adding to what Yzma said...  we usually see them become MORE clingy with weaning. But set limits. He's old enough to udnerstand "After Barney." And LET HIM HAVE A FIT OVER IT. It's OK. THere's nothing that magical about breastfeeding that he's not supposed to ever get upset over it.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I agree with all of the above!
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM
You can wean but i will tell you that he might get even more clingy then now. My ds self weaned not too long ago but he is still very attached to me lol. He even puts his favorite toys down my shirt now.
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM
If he's still getting up at night to nurse, I would night wean first.

I also have a 19 month old, I night weaned her about a month ago. Sometimes she does still nurse pretty often during the day, these teeth have been killer. But she's content to be laid back down with a hug and kiss when she wakes at night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)