Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bottle suggestions?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
  • 16 Replies
I'm trying to find some good bottles to use for my 3 week old once I have to go back to work. Problem is that even though they say "slow flow 0+ months" they don't seem slow enough to me.

I mean all you have to do is tip then and there's a steady drip with no suction involved.

For you mama's that breastfeed but have to be away from baby sometimes what bottle do you use?

I had breastflow bottles with my first DD but I read some comments that a lot of moms felt their babies were getting too much air from them.
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hot_momma633
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Playtex nursers or the wide ventaire. They are more like the breast. You could try the Medela bottles to. My ydd would only take those brands. Hope you find some that work for you and baby.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Bottle choice is really up to baby; ask a dozen moms and you'll get a dozen recommendations. The trick to slow them down is positioning and pacing.

Positioning: Bottle parallel to the floor.

Pacing: Caregiver stops feeding after every ounce, burps, resumes.

Newborn or preemie nipple forever also helps keep things slow.

We do have some "stay aways" though. Mimijumi and Medela Calma have a track record of causing problems.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM
What Kate and Gina said!^^^
Bottles shouldn't be fed with the bottle completely upside down anyway. The bottle should be held parallel to the floor with the baby sitting upright to make the bottle not so easy to get the milk and avoid overfeeding.
amanda_mom89
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Thanks! :) I've read the kellymom article on bottle feeding

At first, baby will be with DH when I'm gone but I'm really nervous about finding a daycare provider that will feed her correctly.

Quoting gdiamante:

Bottle choice is really up to baby; ask a dozen moms and you'll get a dozen recommendations. The trick to slow them down is positioning and pacing.

Positioning: Bottle parallel to the floor.

Pacing: Caregiver stops feeding after every ounce, burps, resumes.

Newborn or preemie nipple forever also helps keep things slow.

We do have some "stay aways" though. Mimijumi and Medela Calma have a track record of causing problems.

amanda_mom89
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM
I've read the kellymom article on bottle feeding :)

I only tipped it to see.. Not during a feeding.

Quoting aehanrahan: What Kate and Gina said!^^^
Bottles shouldn't be fed with the bottle completely upside down anyway. The bottle should be held parallel to the floor with the baby sitting upright to make the bottle not so easy to get the milk and avoid overfeeding.
amanda_mom89
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Thanks! That was really informative. I know nothing can compare to mommy, I just figured some bottles were better or worse than others. I'm really nervous about when she has to go to daycare. I'm scared no one is going to feed her correctly.

Quoting K8wizzo: http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-trouble-with-calma-and-quest-for.html
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM
You're welcome! That was written by one of our long-time members who's an IBCLC. For daycare, print this out and give it to your provider. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

Quoting amanda_mom89: Thanks! That was really informative. I know nothing can compare to mommy, I just figured some bottles were better or worse than others. I'm really nervous about when she has to go to daycare. I'm scared no one is going to feed her correctly.

Quoting K8wizzo: http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-trouble-with-calma-and-quest-for.html
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM
My da has had to use a few different kinds of bottles since I've had to be away from him and he's been supplemented with formula.

He's used the Evenflo size 1 nipple with glass bottles, the Lansinoh mOmma with size 1 nipple, Avent with size 1 nipple, Similac bottle with size 1 nipple and the latex looking nipples from the hospital (non latex though).

The Evenflo nipples are good, but there is no air intake valve so the nipple collapses after baby sucks for a while. The mOmma bottle is actually nice and doesn't flow fast at all. The only one I DON'T like is the Similac bottle because it leaks and the flow is faster than what it should be. It also is shaped weird and my ds can't latch on to it like the other nipples.

My ds is a month old today.

I hope this helped some.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Medela makes a new breastfeeding friendly bottle but its kinda expencive, & your baby might not like it. You may have to go through a few different kind before finding one your baby will like.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)