Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Worried and need answers please.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm 23wks pregnant I have a history with preterm labor. I'm on 17P shots, have a cerclage and now nearest because my cervix is still shortening. My problem is my 2yrold doesn't eat to give up bfing. I have him done to 1-2xs a day and lately have told him now because of preterm labor but he makes me feel bad and will say please over and over. My OB says I need to just be firm and say no. What I'm wandering is, is it harmful for my unborn baby to let him once a day because of my cervix? If so how can I gently get him to understand he can't bf anymore?
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Are you on pelvic rest?

You can certainly set limits with a 2 year old. Maybe limit your once a day to 2 minutes and less and less. Handle it just like any other tantrum your 2 year old throws. With a history of preterm labor and a shortening cervix with a cerclage, I'd be a little nervous. *Normally* breastfeeding a toddler wouldn't trigger labor.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM
It typo'd, but you're on bedrest, right?
morrigan914
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Breastfeeding can cause contractions, I highly recommend weaning, but that is just me.
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Yes because of the cerclage I'm on pelvic rest till 36wks. He doesn't throw a tantrum just asks for it and says please a few times. If i stand strong and say no he will ask later on even on days I say no all day (he mainly asks when he wakes up and bedtime) he will ask 1st thing next day. I just don't want put baby girls health at risk but still bad for telling him no on this subject only.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Are you on pelvic rest?

You can certainly set limits with a 2 year old. Maybe limit your once a day to 2 minutes and less and less. Handle it just like any other tantrum your 2 year old throws. With a history of preterm labor and a shortening cervix with a cerclage, I'd be a little nervous. *Normally* breastfeeding a toddler wouldn't trigger labor.
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:52 PM
On pelvic and bed rest.

Quoting mostlymaydays: It typo'd, but you're on bedrest, right?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM
If there's a worry that sex could stimulate contractions and labor I'd worry a little about breastfeeding. Again, breastfeeding is *usually* no issue at all and thousands of women nurse through their entire pregnancy with no problem.

Quoting NicLof2: Yes because of the cerclage I'm on pelvic rest till 36wks. He doesn't throw a tantrum just asks for it and says please a few times. If i stand strong and say no he will ask later on even on days I say no all day (he mainly asks when he wakes up and bedtime) he will ask 1st thing next day. I just don't want put baby girls health at risk but still bad for telling him no on this subject only.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I knew that normally pregnant women can bf, at WIC (at least the one I volunteer at) we try to encourage women to continue bfing unless there are issues as LC says differently. But because of my cervix still shortening even after cerclage, I'm nervous and wandered the advice of someone who knew more. I feel bad but thinking I should continue to tell him no. :(

Quoting mostlymaydays: If there's a worry that sex could stimulate contractions and labor I'd worry a little about breastfeeding. Again, breastfeeding is *usually* no issue at all and thousands of women nurse through their entire pregnancy with no problem.

Quoting NicLof2: Yes because of the cerclage I'm on pelvic rest till 36wks. He doesn't throw a tantrum just asks for it and says please a few times. If i stand strong and say no he will ask later on even on days I say no all day (he mainly asks when he wakes up and bedtime) he will ask 1st thing next day. I just don't want put baby girls health at risk but still bad for telling him no on this subject only.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

In a typical pregnancy, BFing a toddler will not cause harm to the mom or the fetus.  However, in your case, and with your history, BFing could potentially (and it's highly probable) be dangerous to the health of your baby.  The act of BFing in and of itself isn't going to do anything to the baby.  But BFing causes uterine contractions.  Contractions are (as I'm sure you know) what open your cervix.  And because of your history, it is possible that this will put you into preterm labor.  I don't know what to tell you.  I would have just as hard of a time not nursing are you.  :(

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Thank you! He mad be mad at me (other circumstances I wouldn't care) but at 23.5wks I need his baby sister to stay in a lot longer.

Quoting jackiewal10:

In a typical pregnancy, BFing a toddler will not cause harm to the mom or the fetus.  However, in your case, and with your history, BFing could potentially (and it's highly probable) be dangerous to the health of your baby.  The act of BFing in and of itself isn't going to do anything to the baby.  But BFing causes uterine contractions.  Contractions are (as I'm sure you know) what open your cervix.  And because of your history, it is possible that this will put you into preterm labor.  I don't know what to tell you.  I would have just as hard of a time not nursing are you.  :(

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM
This!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN