Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Flange sizing?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:04 AM
  • 13 Replies
I've discovered the nipple flange on my pump is too small (explains why I was barely getting 1oz and sometimes none), and I went to the Hygeia site and they have a 29mm and 31mm flange. The one I currently have is 27mm.

Is there a way to know what size to buy? :/

ETA: I know what the perfect fit needs to be, but I guess the issue is having to buy online.
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Giving you a bump since I haven't had to deal with this, but I would think that the size depends on how "too small" the current one is. If it's waaaay too small, I'd probably go with the bigger replacement. If it's almost right but just a little bit too small, then go with the smaller of the replacement units.

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Good idea

Quoting gdiamante:

Giving you a bump since I haven't had to deal with this, but I would think that the size depends on how "too small" the current one is. If it's waaaay too small, I'd probably go with the bigger replacement. If it's almost right but just a little bit too small, then go with the smaller of the replacement units.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:12 PM

is the one you have a bit too small or WAY too small..if only a bit then get the next size up if way too small then go 2 sizes

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM
When I merely place my nipple in the flange, it fits. But when I begin to pump, its WAY too small.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

is the one you have a bit too small or WAY too small..if only a bit then get the next size up if way too small then go 2 sizes

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Meaning all areas of your nipple rub in the tunnel?

Quoting robibuni: When I merely place my nipple in the flange, it fits. But when I begin to pump, its WAY too small.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Yes. Its all suctioned against the sides.

Quoting stepconfused182: Meaning all areas of your nipple rub in the tunnel?

Quoting robibuni: When I merely place my nipple in the flange, it fits. But when I begin to pump, its WAY too small.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM
I'd go up 1 size. You don't want it too big.

Quoting robibuni: Yes. Its all suctioned against the sides.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want it to be too big, but I'm afraid if I go up one size, it'll end up being too small also and I'll have to buy the 31mm.

Quoting stepconfused182: I'd go up 1 size. You don't want it too big.
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM
I'm sure hygeia would let you exchange them.

Quoting robibuni:

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want it to be too big, but I'm afraid if I go up one size, it'll end up being too small also and I'll have to buy the 31mm.

Quoting stepconfused182: I'd go up 1 size. You don't want it too big.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I am having the same problem except most of my areola gets sucked in also even on standard size
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN