Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Having the flu while breastfeeding

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I have the flu. First time since I was a kid. I feel like death and can't eat anything. I was wondering 1) is it safe to continue to bf while being sick? And 2) because I can't eat and can barely drink anything, how do I make sure my supply doesn't go? Baby is 7mo old and ebf for the most part. She has some of those puffs during the day but no more than 10-15.
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:45 AM

YES keep nursing!!!!  While sick is one of the best times to nurse.  She is getting your antibodies to help her fight or not get the flu!!!

Drink what you can.  Even when constantly vomiting, I seemed to still be able to nurse the baby.   Granted, at times it was miserable.  And sometimes, when it was really bad, I had to tell my husband to try and keep him calm for a bit longer because I just could NOT nurse at the moment.  Once things calmes down for me (an hour or so later), I asked for the baby and would nurse.

Hope you feel better sooN!

angelbutterfly2
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Thank you! Do you happen to know if I can take dayquil/nyquil while nursing?

Quoting micheledo:

YES keep nursing!!!!  While sick is one of the best times to nurse.  She is getting your antibodies to help her fight or not get the flu!!!

Drink what you can.  Even when constantly vomiting, I seemed to still be able to nurse the baby.   Granted, at times it was miserable.  And sometimes, when it was really bad, I had to tell my husband to try and keep him calm for a bit longer because I just could NOT nurse at the moment.  Once things calmes down for me (an hour or so later), I asked for the baby and would nurse.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I would think so - though I don't know that for sure.  Sorry.

Quoting angelbutterfly2: Thank you! Do you happen to know if I can take dayquil/nyquil while nursing?
Quoting micheledo:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Yes, you can take anything but aspirin.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM
P.S. You may want to re-think yhe baby puffs. Let your baby have some soft pieces of real food. Grain products cannot be digested before one year.
angelbutterfly2
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Thank you. & I will try small pieces of fruit or something :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Yes, you can take anything but aspirin.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Yes, nurse your baby! It is important to pass on the antibodies to help fight what you have.
You can take anything as long as it doesn't contain aspirin. Do your best to stay hydrated. I hope you're feeling better soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)