Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Please tell me...

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
That he'll take a bottle when he gets hungry enough. In going back to work Tuesday and he won't take it from anyone (even when I'm not even in the house). I'm going to be gone up to 14 hours, so it's not like he can go that long without eating. PLUS, I'll be working nightshift and he's been waking every hour to nurse at night recently. We're still having issues with breastfeeding and I'm just petrified that this will negatively impact him :((
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM
He doesn't have to take a bottle. He can be fed via medicine dropper, shot glass, sippy cup, etc, too. So be sure to tell your caregiver to offer multiple ways if necessary. :) but yes, they do take it when they are hungry. Try not to worry. :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Have you read up on reverse cycling? It actually IS okay if he doesn't take much (or anything) while you're gone as long as he nurses enough when you're together.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM
I've tried dropper, cup, and spoon all with no luck. He just pushes everything out with his tongue and screams. :/ he also won't suck on anyone's finger so SNS won't work either.

Quoting MaryJarrett: He doesn't have to take a bottle. He can be fed via medicine dropper, shot glass, sippy cup, etc, too. So be sure to tell your caregiver to offer multiple ways if necessary. :) but yes, they do take it when they are hungry. Try not to worry. :)
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Even for 14 hours? In just afraid because he's currently barely nursing during the day at all and bulking up at night.

Quoting aehanrahan: Have you read up on reverse cycling? It actually IS okay if he doesn't take much (or anything) while you're gone as long as he nurses enough when you're together.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Even 14 hours. Babies are smart and WILL NOT STARVE THEMSELVES. If it's a question betwene holding out and starving. he'll eat.

Never had a baby commit suicide by starvation yet.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM
How are you doing the dropper? You do is just like you would a medicine. He doesn't suck on it. It gets put pointing toward his cheek and slowly dispersed so he swallows it. It's not just placed in his mouth on his tongue.

Quoting LeapBaby123: I've tried dropper, cup, and spoon all with no luck. He just pushes everything out with his tongue and screams. :/ he also won't suck on anyone's finger so SNS won't work either.

Quoting MaryJarrett: He doesn't have to take a bottle. He can be fed via medicine dropper, shot glass, sippy cup, etc, too. So be sure to tell your caregiver to offer multiple ways if necessary. :) but yes, they do take it when they are hungry. Try not to worry. :)
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM
This kids mouth is stronger than... A linebacker. Lol. He HATES things in his mouth unless he puts it there and either thrusts everything out or gags on it. I've tried it just like you said :/

Quoting MaryJarrett: How are you doing the dropper? You do is just like you would a medicine. He doesn't suck on it. It gets put pointing toward his cheek and slowly dispersed so he swallows it. It's not just placed in his mouth on his tongue.

Quoting LeapBaby123: I've tried dropper, cup, and spoon all with no luck. He just pushes everything out with his tongue and screams. :/ he also won't suck on anyone's finger so SNS won't work either.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM
I'll try not to stress. It's just that, with all the issues we've had, I feel like I'm just adding another one to the mix.

Quoting gdiamante:

Even 14 hours. Babies are smart and WILL NOT STARVE THEMSELVES. If it's a question betwene holding out and starving. he'll eat.

Never had a baby commit suicide by starvation yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN