Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pumping

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 43 Replies
Do you have to pump? The only time I'll actually need to pump is when I have a sitter but other than that will I have to to keep supply or can I just breastfeed?
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamashealovekin
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Bump
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
You can just breastfeed. No need to pump unless you're leaving baby for more than 2 hrs.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Pumps are only mandatory when you're going to regularly be away from baby for long stretches of time (say, a work day or school day).

mamashealovekin
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM
So if baby is going for an overnight with grandma I would still pump at home?

Quoting K8wizzo: You can just breastfeed. No need to pump unless you're leaving baby for more than 2 hrs.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Yes you would, every 3 hours, even setting your alarm to wake up at night.

Quoting mamashealovekin: So if baby is going for an overnight with grandma I would still pump at home?

Quoting K8wizzo: You can just breastfeed. No need to pump unless you're leaving baby for more than 2 hrs.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I stay home so I rarely pumped. My babies don't stay the night with anyone until they self wean.
mamashealovekin
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
So if I decided to breastfeed up to a year. When would I start to wean?

Quoting Mom2Just1: I stay home so I rarely pumped. My babies don't stay the night with anyone until they self wean.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I had 4 ebf babies who never had a bottle, ever. And i left them plenty. I just nursed immediately before I walked out the door and had 2-4 hours to get back, depending on the age of the baby. I only pumped the first week or so to take the edge off engorgement. My babies didn't overnight anywhere until after they weaned. And yes, if a baby is away and getting bottles you're supposed to pump to cover those skipped feeds.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM
After a year. You drop one feeding per week. Although it is very beneficial to nurse much longer. I'm still nursing my 16 month old. I'm glad we are because he got sick a couple of weeks ago and only would nurse. Nursing prevented dehydration and a hospital stay.

Quoting mamashealovekin: So if I decided to breastfeed up to a year. When would I start to wean?

Quoting Mom2Just1: I stay home so I rarely pumped. My babies don't stay the night with anyone until they self wean.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this
If you are planning to avoid formula or donor milk, you would start to wean after the first year. If you start to cut back on nursing sessions before a year you MUST replace those sessions with donor milk or formula. After a year you could cut back, dropping one session a week until they're all gone. To do so any quicker will set you up for engorgement, mastitis and possible absesses.

Quoting mamashealovekin: So if I decided to breastfeed up to a year. When would I start to wean?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)