Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Surgery *EDIT WITH QUESTION ON MEDS*

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • 49 Replies
On Tuesday the 29th, I'm scheduled to have a procedure to laser kidney stones and get a stent put in. I have 2 stones in my right kidney(10mm and 3mm) and one in my left(5mm). I'm still nursin my 15 month old and he's not showing any signs of wanting to stop. How long should i wait to nurse him after my procedure?

I had my procedure yesterday and I have yet to nurse. He wants to but when I left the hospital, I still had the effects from the anesthesia so I couldn't nurse safely. Now I'm on 3 different meds(an antibiotic, pain pills and one for bladder irritation) and they are Phenazopyridine, Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen, and Cephalexin. Can someone tell me the safety of these meds? I told the Dr I was still nursing but I don't recall what she said.
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM
As long as you are feeling up to it and lucid, you can nurse right away. :-)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Once you can safely hold him, you can safely nurse!
jplumb
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Regardless of the medicine? Is all anesthesia the same?
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Not all anesthesia is the same, but with all forms, you can safely nurse your baby as soon as you are lucid!

Good luck with your surgery! :-)

Quoting jplumb: Regardless of the medicine? Is all anesthesia the same?
locaporbebe
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM
You can nurse immediately? I was made to pump and dump for 24 hours.
jplumb
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok thank you!

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Not all anesthesia is the same, but with all forms, you can safely nurse your baby as soon as you are lucid!

Good luck with your surgery! :-)

Quoting jplumb: Regardless of the medicine? Is all anesthesia the same?
jplumb
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't respond to a pump anymore so I'll be happy once he nurses again.

Quoting locaporbebe: You can nurse immediately? I was made to pump and dump for 24 hours.
locaporbebe
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM
With my 11 yo I had surgery twice in her first 6 weeks. I think I cried harder about giving her formula for 24 hours than anything else. I hated it. I wish I had been told I could nurse immediately. Pumping and I don't agree.

Quoting jplumb: I don't respond to a pump anymore so I'll be happy once he nurses again.

Quoting locaporbebe: You can nurse immediately? I was made to pump and dump for 24 hours.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, most doctors are uninformed and just recommend pump & dump to cover their own behinds. :-)

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Anesthesia clears your system pretty quickly. Or you wouldn't wake up. Like the others said, as soon as you have your faculties about you it is safe to nurse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)