Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fatty foods

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM
  • 32 Replies
I am trying to fatten up the little princess lol. What are some good fatty foods for her. She loves avacado and sweet potatoes but will eat anything that doesn't eat her. Also I am not sure she knows when she is full. So about how much solids should I give her. Tonight she ate an ounce of avacado and an ounce of sweet potato (babyfood) and is now nursing like she hasn't ate today. I know the food isn't nessisarry but she wants it and it's a way to get more calories in her between nursing.
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM
3 moms liked this

You should be nursing before giving any solids, and then giving food immediately after.

She doesn't need baby food.  Just give her whatever you're eating.  Solids can actually make babies stop gaining weight, if they get too much of them, and nurse less.

Why do you want to fatten her up?  Breastmilk will (normally) keep her at the weight she's supposed to be.  Babies don't have to be *chubby* to be healthy. 

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Maybe she's hitting a growth spurt. How old is she? What about black beans my lo loved them and they are full of protein. If she can't eat them whole yet mush them up. It's easy to mush them. :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You've actually hit on the main food; avocado. Make sure you're nursing first because there's more fat there than in anything else you give her. 

Are there any dietary restrictions or precautions that go with her illness?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Breastmilk is still the most important thing for her to have, and contains more calories per ounce than solids, short of feeding her straight butter (which I do NOT suggest)! Let her bring your supply up to her next level of need. You don't want to replace breastmilk with solids at this stage.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Agreed. :-)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

You should be nursing before giving any solids, and then giving food immediately after.She doesn't need baby food.  Just give her whatever you're eating.  Solids can actually make babies stop gaining weight, if they get too much of them, and nurse less.Why do you want to fatten her up?  Breastmilk will (normally) keep her at the weight she's supposed to be.  Babies don't have to be *chubby* to be healthy. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Gemma has some major medical issues.

Avocado is full of good fats. If there aren't any dietary restrictions, whole milk yogurt, cheese, and meats would all be good, too.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

You should be nursing before giving any solids, and then giving food immediately after.She doesn't need baby food.  Just give her whatever you're eating.  Solids can actually make babies stop gaining weight, if they get too much of them, and nurse less.Why do you want to fatten her up?  Breastmilk will (normally) keep her at the weight she's supposed to be.  Babies don't have to be *chubby* to be healthy. 

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.   That obviously changes circumstances.

Quoting K8wizzo: Gemma has some major medical issues. Avocado is full of good fats. If there aren't any dietary restrictions, whole milk yogurt, cheese, and meats would all be good, too.
Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Veggie omelettes cooked in butter or coconut oil. Meats are high calorie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM
This and what Kate said.

Quoting gdiamante:

You've actually hit on the main food; avocado. Make sure you're nursing first because there's more fat there than in anything else you give her. 

Are there any dietary restrictions or precautions that go with her illness?

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
When my son was 7 months, he was eating brisket, soft meatballs, mashed potatoes (really fattened up with dairy free butter). He was and is a great eater. He ironically refused avocado and still does to this day. He had dairy issues till about 9-10 months and then I was giving whole milk fage yogurts and chunks of cheese.

And maybe someone can explain why everyone on CM says breastmilk has more calories per ounce than other foods? I'm not trying to be attack anyone about it but I see this repeated all the time. There are many foods that are much higher in calories per ounce like nuts and nut butters at 200 calories/ounce, meatballs and other meats at 90 calories per ounce, whole milk yogurt with fruit at 30 cal/ounce etc.

I just wondered if this is something that just gets repeated and wanted to clarify.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)