Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think I may be losing a friend

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM
  • 18 Replies
One of my friends continues to disappoint me. We have been friends for a very long time but can not agree on anything when it comes to parenting. And while I can agree to disagree because everyone parents differently, she continues to bash my ways.

Like today she went on and on complaining about a mutual friend of ours. Almost everything she complained about our friend doing I also do.
What really pissed me off was the breastfeeding stuff.

First she said that our friend was starving her son because he doesn't eat a lot of solids and still nurses all the time. Well my Ds doesn't eat a lot of solids and still nurses all the time and he is a chunky monkey. I reminded her that our friends baby is a premie and only weighed 4lbs at birth.

Then she was like "well she is not modest about breastfeeding at all. I can't believe she would breastfeed in front of my husband." Really? I told we that I've breastfed in front of her husband more than once. And she breastfed! But she is one of those people that thinks when you are in public you should give a bottle.

This really makes me wonder what she says about me to others when I am not around
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Friends usually have some things in common, and "agree to disagree" on others. Friends can also grow apart, and yes, friendships can end.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM
I decided not long after our boys were born (they are the same age) that we would not agree on most parenting things.

So I avoid touchy subjects.

But to hear her talk bad about another friend who practices the some of the same techniques that I do just made me really wonder if she bad mouths me to others...

Quoting MusherMaggie: Friends usually have some things in common, and "agree to disagree" on others. Friends can also grow apart, and yes, friendships can end.
ToniTennille
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I'm sorry. That's tough I know. Sometimes it's just better to get rid of the negativity in your life. hugs

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
It sucks when that happens. People grow apart though. I lost 2 long time friends in situations like yours. We just parented differently. When your a mom your kids are your core so when you cant find a common core topic with your friends its hard. The last time I visited one of my friends i nursed my ds & her 7 year old started screaming off the top of her lungs, eww, thats nasty, your nasty!!! And My 7 Year Old Dd Was Around That She got So Mad She started Crying. That was the last time I went over there.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
As the saying goes, if they'll talk TO you about others then they talk ABOUT YOU to others. But what is she thinking knowing you and that friend have some of the same practices?!?
poosey08
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Sorry, it's so hard to be close to someone when you're parenting values are so different. Making those comments to you about breastfeeding is so disrespectful. I would speak truthfully to her about how you're feeling and take it from there.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

More than likely she does, I'm afraid. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: I decided not long after our boys were born (they are the same age) that we would not agree on most parenting things. So I avoid touchy subjects. But to hear her talk bad about another friend who practices the some of the same techniques that I do just made me really wonder if she bad mouths me to others...
Quoting MusherMaggie: Friends usually have some things in common, and "agree to disagree" on others. Friends can also grow apart, and yes, friendships can end.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Yep!

Quoting mostlymaydays: As the saying goes, if they'll talk TO you about others then they talk ABOUT YOU to others. But what is she thinking knowing you and that friend have some of the same practices?!?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:28 PM

YEp sounds like a toxic friendship to me..I would start distancing myself.  I would also put mutual friends on the spot and ask if she bad mouths me....sadly I bet she does

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM

WOW kids dont think its nasty unless they have been taught that

Quoting PolishMamma2: It sucks when that happens. People grow apart though. I lost 2 long time friends in situations like yours. We just parented differently. When your a mom your kids are your core so when you cant find a common core topic with your friends its hard. The last time I visited one of my friends i nursed my ds & her 7 year old started screaming off the top of her lungs, eww, thats nasty, your nasty!!! And My 7 Year Old Dd Was Around That She got So Mad She started Crying. That was the last time I went over there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN