Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

baby had his 6 month appointment, but his dr did more for me then just that. ...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this
Today my little guy weighed in at 16.5 lbs. Less then anticipated, but I was comparing his weight to what his brother weighted at that age and he had been weaned to formula and eating solids by the time his 6 month appointment,7 years ago. Then, my pediatrician became my personal therapist today. I accidentally broke into tears when she asked about his feedings. He's feeding great, I nurse on demand roughly every 2 hours, 4 at night. No worries on his weight, that's great! My weight, not so much. Which is what broke me. I haven't lost a pound. I actually have gained. She said that she had the exact same problem! Yay I'm not alone! She had told me she had gained a ton of weight when she was nursing her 3rd child, which sent her to see her own dr. She was so kind and understanding, she asked about my pregnancy, eating habits then and now, and rest. She explained how as a bf mom, we keep in mind that bf burns X amount of extra calories, the weight can usually fall right off with that alone. But what typically isn't gone over is how much lack of sleep can contribute to our weight. Lack of sleep can cause an increase in appetite, decrease in metabolism. I never had put those 2 things into consideration. I feel so much better now. She shared her story of success with bf, weight issues and sleep, and it gave me so much hope. She helped me come up with a game plan that can help me specifically. Basically, I give baby a bath, nurse him to sleep, get my older ds to sleep, give myself an hour and a half, dream nurse baby, go to bed. Instead of the first feeding to be done in his room and back in his crib, just bring him straight in the room with us. That was typically done second feeding. I feel this is so much of a 'rocket science' explanation, but at least I'm starting somewhere!
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:18 AM
I never lost any weight nursing. I had to start a low carb diet to lose weight. It's pretty common. Not everyone sheds pounds while bf'ing. :)
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:38 AM
:) yeah, I never, literally, never heard this till now. I feel so silly, but every one I knew, including my experience with my first, lost some semblance of baby weight breastfeeding.

Quoting nocalmegan: I never lost any weight nursing. I had to start a low carb diet to lose weight. It's pretty common. Not everyone sheds pounds while bf'ing. :)
Mommylovesdada
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I always hang on to 5-10 lbs while bf. Its frustrating but this too shall pass😊
linz04060913
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM

!!!!! That's so nice!

I have gained as well. Last time I checked I was 153 when I'm normally about 120. I was 165ish when I delivered :/

locaporbebe
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:24 AM
I have never lost weight nursing either. With Adrian my 3 mo I have lost all my pregnancy weight but that's it. I have plenty of my own to lose.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Hugs mama! That explains enough....lets all sleep that weight off! Lol
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM
I thought for a second this was my reply, cause that's exactly me!

Quoting linz04060913:

!!!!! That's so nice!

I have gained as well. Last time I checked I was 153 when I'm normally about 120. I was 165ish when I delivered :/

SapphireMomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Gained a LOT during the first 2ish years. I didn't begin to lose until he began to wean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:01 AM
5-10 I can handle, my clothes still fit! Right now, everything I put on that was once fitted and cute make me look like 'the people of Walmart' it's one of 2 pairs of pants, and my husband's tee shirts

Quoting Mommylovesdada: I always hang on to 5-10 lbs while bf. Its frustrating but this too shall pass😊
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM
I'm so sorry! That's exactly what my dr had said

Quoting SapphireMomma: Gained a LOT during the first 2ish years. I didn't begin to lose until he began to wean.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN