Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ties are real!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM
  • 20 Replies
My midwife was the one who found that my baby had a tongue ties. She is also an IBCLC. Both my nephews are ties as well, thankfully they got clipped, but my sister didnt know with the first until there was already damage done to her nipples :(

Anyways, my midwife just posted her frustrations on facebook that she met a LC who said she didnt believe that tongue ties were real!!! Grrrr, she was so frustrated. Anyways moms, this just goes to show that there really are LCs out there who are ignorant about certain things.
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes they are! And a lot of people are walking around with letters after their name who should not be evaluating babies and moms! This is my dd, she's 3, she TORE up my nipples as an infant, the LC we saw said she had a slight tongue tie but that was all she saw. You can clearly see her pretty bad lip tie! Thankfully as she grew her latch got better but it would have been useful to know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Wow, not real?! Lol.
So they were made up by magical wizards in fantasy land huh??
Just-looney
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM
I have never heard of this but my oldest daughter had a very difficult time latching on right and her mouth looked just like the pic. Could that be why??
I BF her by pumping and bottle feeding exclusively for 13 months. (Breast milk only, no formula). I tried many times to latch her and she just couldn't do it.

Quoting MorganTho:

Yes they are! And a lot of people are walking around with letters after their name who should not be evaluating babies and moms! This is my dd, she's 3, she TORE up my nipples as an infant, the LC we saw said she had a slight tongue tie but that was all she saw. You can clearly see her pretty bad lip tie! Thankfully as she grew her latch got better but it would have been useful to know.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I think they need to suspend ALL their licenses (LC IBCLC pedis a doctors and ents) until they are educated on ties! Here's my 6 year old son.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Thats what happened to me too. My ds is not as bad as your dd but when he sticks his tongue out its heart shaped & he had enough of a lip tie to cause a gap when his teeth grew in. Like you his latch got better the bigger he got but omg the first few months was awefull!! My nipples got do bad it gave me Vasospasms. Talk about pain!!!

Quoting MorganTho:

sissy852
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Both my sons were toung tied. I got them clipped early. Cubby was more tied than johnny. I couldnt nurse cubby because of it. By the time they clipped it i was dry and pregnant. Johnnys i got it clipped sooner and he could latch on better at birth i nursed him until he was 12 mo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MorganTho
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It's very possible! My dd was very small and had a small mouth so her latch was not very good in the beginnings and I had cracked and bleeding nipples. It took 2 weeks to get better. That's awesome that you could EP for your DD! That's tough work.

Quoting Just-looney: I have never heard of this but my oldest daughter had a very difficult time latching on right and her mouth looked just like the pic. Could that be why??
I BF her by pumping and bottle feeding exclusively for 13 months. (Breast milk only, no formula). I tried many times to latch her and she just couldn't do it.

Quoting MorganTho:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM
I don't trust any care provider that actually thinks tongue ties aren't real. Or worse that they stretch out. My ds was very close to a complete tie but no one would listen to me! He had slow weight gain and nursing was excruciating for a year before we finally got his tongue clipped. And miraculously his weight gain improved overnight and I have no pain. Imagine that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My ped doesnt think posterior ties exist and lip ties dont do anything against Bfing..whatever..my CNM took are of it!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

YEP and most kids with lip ties have posterior tongue ties which makes latching difficult and painful

Quoting Just-looney: I have never heard of this but my oldest daughter had a very difficult time latching on right and her mouth looked just like the pic. Could that be why?? I BF her by pumping and bottle feeding exclusively for 13 months. (Breast milk only, no formula). I tried many times to latch her and she just couldn't do it.
Quoting MorganTho:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)