Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What surprised you the most about breastfeeding?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:48 PM
  • 24 Replies
3 moms liked this

Before you had your babies and you thought about BFing, how does your experience differ? What did you have no clue about? What is something you would share with a new mom so she wouldnt have a shock.

ME? That fussy doesnt always mean hungry.  Doctors arent trained in lactation.  AND even though they mean well people will give wrong info left and right

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamashealovekin
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I like this post. I am going to breastfeed this time and can't wait to hear all the tips and tricks!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Before you had your babies and you thought about BFing, how does your experience differ? What did you have no clue about? What is something you would share with a new mom so she wouldnt have a shock.

ME? That fussy doesnt always mean hungry.  Doctors arent trained in lactation.  AND even though they mean well people will give wrong info left and right

2ndbabyBumpStar
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I breastfed my son and I just started with my daughter who is one week old. I am amazed at all of the benefits of breastfeeding, there is so much to learn about it and the nutrition you give to your babies! 

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Thats its not as easy as movies make it seem.

With my first my son was 8 days before my milk came in, and I supsupplemented when I didn't need to.

This time I was more prepared but wasn't expecting the trials I have run in to. But I am fighting through!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM
For us it was so much easier once I put the parenting books and doctors advice out of my mind and just did what felt was right. Bsby cries= boob, baby squirms=boob, baby needs to be calm for vaccines= boob. I was fortunate to meet with 3 amazing IBCLCs who also run a cloth diaper store where I was living. They helped me whenever I was getting bad advice from my pedi, helped me find a bf friendly pedi and helped me find my groove and along with this group my biggest realization is that it's more work now to wean than to let her wean on her own!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM
4 moms liked this

I was shocked that nursing my 4 year old isnt wierd....I became one of THOSE women lol

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I learn something new each baby I nurse. (: I never thought I would nurse past a year.
nicolett80
by Nicole on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM
This is my 3rd child, but first time breastfeeding and wow, has it been a crazy Rollercoaster ride. And it's only been 4 months.

I had no idea how hard the first month would be! It felt like forever for my milk to come in, then we both had thrush which made breastfeeding painful. And bad latch. We had a lot going on but we made it through! No pacifiers and no pumping.

I learned a lot. Learning everything you can about breastfeeding! So helpful. I learned that it's normal for newborns to want to nurse alllll day. I learned that the more baby is nursing, the better for your supply. I could go on and on. Lol

It turned out to be a lot harder than I thought but being committed was what got me through. Now we are doing great and I love, love, love breastfeeding my lo! I plan on doing it for the next couple years if I can.
LifesALilHectic
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Hahaha.... It might help that your little man is really little ;-) I wish my kids stayed tiny :(

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I was shocked that nursing my 4 year old isnt wierd....I became one of THOSE women lol

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:35 AM
This! Even though mine isn't 4 yet (will be 3 in August) but I'm sure we'll get there.

Also I was surprised by tandem-feeding, that it was safe and there were actually women who nursed through pregnancies and continued to nurse both thereafter...I definitely never thought I'd be one of them either, yet here I am still nursing my 32 month and 7 month olds.....PROUDLY! 😉

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I won't lie, despite all the problems I've come across with BFing, it came pretty naturally to me. Still, it was strange to find out all of the problems that can come with breastfeeding: mastitis, thrush, tongue and lip ties cracking bleeding nipples, oversupply, OAL, high lipase, clogged ducts, abscesses .....I have/had them all and I'm sure I'm forgetting some!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)