Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nipple sheilds

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM
  • 26 Replies
I'm going to try using one. Any suggestions on brand?
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

WHY? I hate nipple shields...

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM
I agree they would be my absolute last resort as the only thing left on earth to save a breastfeeding relationship. I've never heard of one brand being particularly recommended over another. Are you trying to help damaged nipples heal?
Goondoggle
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM
I like mine. It saved us from using formula. My daughter didn't latch well at birth and we used the shield exclusively for the first 3 weeks until her mouth was wide enough. I still use it occasionally at night when it's dark and I'm not really awake.

I think mine is the Medela brand. I don't think brand matters so much as size. I have the standard 24mm size. Make sure whatever you get fits comfortably. Talk with a lactation consultant (see if the hospital or WIC will let you talk to one for free) and see if they can work with you for a fitting or see if your problem can be corrected another way.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:45 AM
I agree.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I agree they would be my absolute last resort as the only thing left on earth to save a breastfeeding relationship. I've never heard of one brand being particularly recommended over another. Are you trying to help damaged nipples heal?
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:09 AM
Yep.

Why are you thinking of trying them?

Quoting aehanrahan: I agree.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I agree they would be my absolute last resort as the only thing left on earth to save a breastfeeding relationship. I've never heard of one brand being particularly recommended over another. Are you trying to help damaged nipples heal?
katie314
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:11 AM
I wish I never started using a shield.. im not trying to wean him off and it seems impossible. Just sayin in my experience theyre no good and can cause more issues. I just bought mine at wal mart.. they only had one brand.
good luck :)
CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM
She's gotten too used to the flow of the bottle ar daycare and now she won't nurse whatsoever. She cries if I put her to the breast but if I put a bottle nipple near my nipple she'll drink it fine from there. I don't know. I'm just all out of options. This has been going on for 2 months

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like nipple preference.

What kind of bottles do you use? And do they do paced bottle feeding? As in kellymom.com bottle feeding the breastfed baby.

And do you use the slowest nipple available for that bottle?

You could try expressing until you have some dripping..or you could try the shield and latch her..and once she latches quickly unlatch pop shield off and relatch fast....

Other than that not sure.

Quoting CountryGirl1365: She's gotten too used to the flow of the bottle ar daycare and now she won't nurse whatsoever. She cries if I put her to the breast but if I put a bottle nipple near my nipple she'll drink it fine from there. I don't know. I'm just all out of options. This has been going on for 2 months

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

amberNewman0213
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM
I used nipple shields and they really helped me I was in so much pain I had to give my nipples a break.
CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Tommee tippee, yes paced feeding and I use the slowest flow possible. I have also tried expressing until there is milk on my nipple but she still doesn't want anything to do with it :(

Quoting Seximama23: Sounds like nipple preference.

What kind of bottles do you use? And do they do paced bottle feeding? As in kellymom.com bottle feeding the breastfed baby.

And do you use the slowest nipple available for that bottle?

You could try expressing until you have some dripping..or you could try the shield and latch her..and once she latches quickly unlatch pop shield off and relatch fast....

Other than that not sure.

Quoting CountryGirl1365: She's gotten too used to the flow of the bottle ar daycare and now she won't nurse whatsoever. She cries if I put her to the breast but if I put a bottle nipple near my nipple she'll drink it fine from there. I don't know. I'm just all out of options. This has been going on for 2 months

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN