Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Wearing down

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

DS2 is 7 months and still wakes up 2 to 3 times a night to nurse or wanting to be held while he sleeps. I don't bring him to bed as I am frightend I would roll right over him or he falling off the bed. DH and my parents suggests the CIO method but I am not comfortable with that. I did it with DS1 and it works but with DS2 it's different. I have tried it once, and he doesn't stop crying, he actually cries louder until he coughs. Never again. I am so very tired during the day especially during class or doing homework. any advice how I can get DS2 to sleep all night?

and yes, he does eat gerber food, but I always nurse him before feeding him solids or gerber food.

thanks!!

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Co sleep. We do that to get more sleep. In would skip baby food and just offer food you're eating. All my kids woke 3-5 times at 7 months.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I cosleep for survival, too. My babies were still waking 2-6 times a night until nearly 18 months when we finally saw 5 hour stretches.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM

look up side carring the crib..its not cosleeping but baby is in their own crib next to your bed..it makes waking up to nurse so much easier.

Every child is different, I swore I woud never cosleep....do it full time now lol

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM
I'd just being the kid in with me the first time he woke up to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM
You have 2 choices at this point: continue to do it how you are and deal with being tired until baby naturally starts sleeping all night OR put baby in bed with you and get some sleep!!!!
I'm not one who's all warm and fuzzy about having baby in bed with me, but you do get used to it and it beats the heck outta waking up during the night.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Yep that's how I do it. Then there's no transition to their bed later, it just happens when they eventually start sttn.

Quoting polkaspots: I'd just being the kid in with me the first time he woke up to nurse.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM
It is normal for them to nurse at night through the first year, and to need the closeness and comfort. Sleeping through the night occurs when they are developmentally ready; it doesn't have as much to do with feeding as is commonly thought. You can safely side-car the crib to the bed so he has his own space but is in easy reach for nursing.

Purees are not necessary and do not have as many calories as breastmilk, so are not as satisfying. After you nurse, let him have some small pieces of whatever you're having to play with and try. It doesn't matter how much of them he eats at this point; breastmilk is still his main source of calories.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM
It has proven to be the best method for us. It meant I sat with dd at bedtime until she was three and a half, but there was never any drama over bedtime. My two year old puts himself to bed about every other day.

Quoting larissalarie: Yep that's how I do it. Then there's no transition to their bed later, it just happens when they eventually start sttn.

Quoting polkaspots: I'd just being the kid in with me the first time he woke up to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep same here. No bedtime battles, it's great.

Quoting polkaspots: It has proven to be the best method for us. It meant I sat with dd at bedtime until she was three and a half, but there was never any drama over bedtime. My two year old puts himself to bed about every other day.

Quoting larissalarie: Yep that's how I do it. Then there's no transition to their bed later, it just happens when they eventually start sttn.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I completely agree.

Quoting MusherMaggie: It is normal for them to nurse at night through the first year, and to need the closeness and comfort. Sleeping through the night occurs when they are developmentally ready; it doesn't have as much to do with feeding as is commonly thought. You can safely side-car the crib to the bed so he has his own space but is in easy reach for nursing.

Purees are not necessary and do not have as many calories as breastmilk, so are not as satisfying. After you nurse, let him have some small pieces of whatever you're having to play with and try. It doesn't matter how much of them he eats at this point; breastmilk is still his main source of calories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN