Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice :(

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 32 Replies
So I ordered new flanges for my pump. Started pumping and got nothing. Not a damn thing. Its very frustrating.

I don't need to pump in the sense that I need to go to work, but considering DH and I were on the verge of divorce yesterday, we both agree we need a date night in the next couple of months.

If I can't pump, would I be horrid if I gave her formula? Its been nearly 3 years for us to have alone time, and we really wanna work on us. I feel guilty for considering formula though.

Advice ladies? I'm very disappointed about this pump situation.
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Have you tried hand expressing? Or pumping on one side while she nurses on the other, specifically first thing in the morning? How old is baby girl?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

For a date night, you can probably nurse before you leave and nurse when you come home and not leave ONE DROP. It's what I would do.

You can also try hand expressing. If neither of those suit you, that's what formula is for.

I'm hoping you're exaggerating on the "verge of divorce." If you're not, counseling will be more effective than a thousand date nights. I've found date nights don't help couples who are already in trouble; the expectations merely make it worse and the divorce comes more quickly.

shaye
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I never got a pump to work for me either. I got some it was through hand expression. Good luck! :-)
LifesALilHectic
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM

One night of formula is not going to hurt your baby. I tried to pump, but was also unsuccessful. On date nights or school nights my LO had to have formula.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Yes! I agree. Counseling helped my dh and I open conversations that lingered in a healthy way.

Quoting gdiamante:

For a date night, you can probably nurse before you leave and nurse when you come home and not leave ONE DROP. It's what I would do.

You can also try hand expressing. If neither of those suit you, that's what formula is for.

I'm hoping you're exaggerating on the "verge of divorce." If you're not, counseling will be more effective than a thousand date nights. I've found date nights don't help couples who are already in trouble; the expectations merely make it worse and the divorce comes more quickly.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:30 AM
This!

Quoting gdiamante:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM
I wish I were exaggerating.

Found out DH was having an affair on Sunday and he wanted a divorce. We're gonna try to work things out. We've already set up counseling, but also, I figure dates wouldn't hurt. We need counseling and alone time, which is why I even considered formula.

Quoting gdiamante:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Hand expressing never seems to do much for me. I'll keep trying though. DD is 6 weeks. DH has counseling set up for next week so I'm hoping I have something I can give her while we're doing that and she's with my friend.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80: Have you tried hand expressing? Or pumping on one side while she nurses on the other, specifically first thing in the morning? How old is baby girl?
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Also try reading the book called " the 5 languages of love" my hubby and I read it before we married and i am glad we did. I was able to learn what things make him tick in a since.
I hope things work out.

And no your not horrible if you give baby formula. I do because the pump eats my boobs lol and hand expressing into anything but a sink is a mess
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Date nights are a good thing, but I wouldnt use formula.  How old is your Lo? You ahve to train your body to respond to a pump so pump every morning no matter what, then add a session in some other time of the day each day just to help training...it may take a week but you should be able to get pump response by then.  If not I would look for a bit of donor milk...a few ounces..maybe 3-4 would get you dinner and a movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)