Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Needing encouragement

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is almost 15 months and I am 9 weeks pregnant. For the first time ever I didn't want to nurse him before bed tonight. My nipples are more sensitive since pregnant but it is tolerable. What makes matters worse is that my son has started to slap my face while nursing. I am teaching him nursing manners as I did with biting. I feel guilty though because he barely nursed before bed. I broke the latch when he started slapping. I offered to nurse again but he was done at that point.

I have fears about him self weaning due to the pregnancy. He only nurses 3-4 times a day. I hate to stop a session short but I can't and won't tolerate being slapped (he is a gentle child and I truly believe he doesn't understand that he is being rough). The slapping doesn't hurt but its super irritating!

I'm so worried about aversions, self-weaning, and losing my supply. The last thing I want to do is stop a session, but I think I have to in order to stop this behavior.

I guess I don't know what I am asking of you ladies. I just needed to "talk" about it as this is upsetting me. We have had such a wonderful nursing relationship so far and the feeling of not wanting to nurse him broke my heart.
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Quoting KarenM42: My son is almost 15 months and I am 9 weeks pregnant. For the first time ever I didn't want to nurse him before bed tonight. My nipples are more sensitive since pregnant but it is tolerable. What makes matters worse is that my son has started to slap my face while nursing. I am teaching him nursing manners as I did with biting.
Precisely the right thing to do.
I feel guilty though because he barely nursed before bed. I broke the latch when he started slapping. I offered to nurse again but he was done at that point. I have fears about him self weaning due to the pregnancy. He only nurses 3-4 times a day.
That's fine. At that age he could nurse 3-4 times a WEEK and it's not weaning. **smile**  But pregnancy does often lead toddlers to wean.
I hate to stop a session short but I can't and won't tolerate being slapped (he is a gentle child and I truly believe he doesn't understand that he is being rough). The slapping doesn't hurt but its super irritating!
You're doing PRECISELY THE RIGHT THING. Keep doing it. If he weans it will more likely be due to pregnancy supply drop or flavor change. 
I'm so worried about aversions, self-weaning, and losing my supply. The last thing I want to do is stop a session, but I think I have to in order to stop this behavior. I guess I don't know what I am asking of you ladies. I just needed to "talk" about it as this is upsetting me. We have had such a wonderful nursing relationship so far and the feeling of not wanting to nurse him broke my heart.

That feeling is ALSO very normal in pregnancy. It's one of the reasons docs try to steer moms to wait a couple of years between pregnancies. But that horse is out of the barn. **smile** Do what you can to make the experience at least tolerable (and at that you'll be ahead of me and I WASN'T pregnant while nursing).

You're so so so normal.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM
I agree :) you are doing great! Dont stress aboit weaning or not weaning. It will all work out, just be there for when he needs you, and nurse whenhe is nice. If he weans you will find other ways to comfort :)
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Btw, none of my 3 kids self weaned during my pregnanies, so he may not.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:54 AM
I agree with them. 😊 Just keep doing what you're doing. I always made sure I offered during pregnancy for fear of the same thing, but he had/has this bad habit of pulling my hair while nursing, so I implemented nursing manners for that. He is still nursing along with his 7 month old brother, but he liked the taste of colostrum and was still nursing like 10 times a day when I was pregnant. He may come out still nursing or may wean due to changes in your milk or drying up, in which case, extra cuddles would be great, but either way 15 months is an awesome accomplishment and you should be proud!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Self weaning is just that, his choice. It's not a bad thing. He may wean for now and come back once the baby comes, or may not. Fifteen months is a great run. And you absolutely do not have to tolerate bad manners. You're doing the right thing--it's discipline and is needed. You're doing fine; there are many places where he will not agree with you as he grows, but you're the parent. Hang in there!
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM
I'm 16 weeks pregnant and my 17 month old is self weaning because of my pregnancy. I'm sad but know he is doing this on his own. He nurses twice a day.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 1, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Your doing the right thing,
But dont stress out about your milk or him weaning.
Im 25 weeks & my ds weaned himself when i was about 14 weeks along. Its bitter sweet but you can't change it. Your milk may not dry up but some kids just dont like the New taste.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)