Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Introducing solids

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM
  • 43 Replies

I know I keep posting about the same things, but we just can't seem to get this straightened out. DS is 9 months. He loves his solids, but he keeps getting constipated...like really constipated. I had to use a soppository to help him poop earlier this week and when he went he was clearly very uncomfortable and when it came out it was solid and formed like an adult poop. He pooped like 5 times that day and then for a few days after that he would poop a couple of times a day. So I thought he was just getting use to real food, but today and last night he is pooping these little hard balls so clearly he is getting constipated again. I have tried taking the solids away and going back to just breast feeding, but I swear it just isn't enough anymore. I feel like he needs the solids and when he doens't have them he is so irritable. I don't know what to do. I've been giving him Gripe Water for constipation, it's just concentrated prune juice, but I honestly don't see much improvement with it. 

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM

What solids is he getting?  How much?  Are you giving water with solids?  Still nursing immediately before giving them?

LifesALilHectic
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Only one of my kids had this problem, and he used to actually cry when he pooped because it hurt so bad. The nuggets would be rock hard and the size of a golf ball. It scared me so I began giving him vitamins, more fiber foods, and I also gave watered down prune juice ( just one battle a day) he had no more issues.

melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Sounds like he's having to many solids.
Rae706
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM
I fees him prunes mixed with something at least once a day and then I'll feed him either pears or a vegetable. I've tried juice but he refuses to take a bottle at all. I do give him water when he eats, but I have to give it to him by dropping it in his mouth with a straw.

Quoting LifesALilHectic:

Only one of my kids had this problem, and he used to actually cry when he pooped because it hurt so bad. The nuggets would be rock hard and the size of a golf ball. It scared me so I began giving him vitamins, more fiber foods, and I also gave watered down prune juice ( just one battle a day) he had no more issues.

LifesALilHectic
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM

:( not taking a bottle makes this so much harder... I'm sorry hun

Quoting Rae706: I fees him prunes mixed with something at least once a day and then I'll feed him either pears or a vegetable. I've tried juice but he refuses to take a bottle at all. I do give him water when he eats, but I have to give it to him by dropping it in his mouth with a straw.
Quoting LifesALilHectic:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Are you spoon feeding or is he self feeding?

Quoting Rae706: I fees him prunes mixed with something at least once a day and then I'll feed him either pears or a vegetable. I've tried juice but he refuses to take a bottle at all. I do give him water when he eats, but I have to give it to him by dropping it in his mouth with a straw.

Quoting LifesALilHectic:

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Does he get cereal at all? I'm assuming he's getting purees since you said you feed him. Have you tried a straw sippy? We skipped bottles and do straw sippys. Also try giving him foods he can feed himself. If he gets cereal then that's your issue, stop it.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Stop spoon feeding him and let him feed himself food at meals after nursing sessions.
It seems like the food is definitely the problem. I'd stick to produce and avoid giving dairy, grains or meat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM
I would stop all solids and nurse for at least two weeks. This would give the gut time to heal.
Then I would do baby led solids with only fresh(steamed) produce. Nursing is enough. I promise. :) Don't feed him. Don't use purees.

My children don't even start solids until 9 months. My youngest probably won't meet all requirements until closer to a year this time.
Don't use a bottle, use a sippy or straw cup. I wouldn't do juice either.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Quoting MaryJarrett: I would stop all solids and nurse for at least two weeks. This would give the gut time to heal.
Then I would do baby led solids with only fresh(steamed) produce. Nursing is enough. I promise. :) Don't feed him. Don't use purees.

My children don't even start solids until 9 months. My youngest probably won't meet all requirements until closer to a year this time.
Don't use a bottle, use a sippy or straw cup. I wouldn't do juice either.

This! A breastfed baby is totally different than a formula fed baby when it comes to solids. He needs to nurse more. Fussiness can also be related to teething, growth spurts and developmental milestones; his gut really may not be ready for so many solids.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN