Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Goat's milk and milk supply

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:55 PM
  • 8 Replies
A mother I've been talking to told me she went to goat's milk to, I believe, mix with formula when her milk dried up. I know my supply is not what it was and my son seems frustrated about that. I've been on a special diet to help my milk supply and with my son now almost 15 months old, the extra specialized nutrition may be what's keeping me from completely drying up. Has anyone else supplemented with goat's milk? I don't know if I've ever had goat's milk; I've heard it's very nutritious. I wonder if adding it to my diet would help my supply.
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM
I dont know if adding it will help your supply. The only thing I know about goats milk is that its closer to human milk than cows milk and maybe even all other milks.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM
Yep!It couldn't hurt to try though, only way to find outfit sure! ;-) Good luck mama!

Quoting Precious333: I dont know if adding it will help your supply. The only thing I know about goats milk is that its closer to human milk than cows milk and maybe even all other milks.
Analugojana
by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Your son is 15 mo old? At this age I wouldn't bother tryingbto up my supply. My supply is not what it used to be (thank God, as I had massive oversuuply) and that's normal. Baby might start slowing down a bit and taking more solids, you might be back to work and after pumping supply might go down. I've had goat milk before and I haven't noticed any boosting oower. Oats are my main nemesis. If I have oatmeal (even the quick oats) or oat cookies I notice a huge difference. I'm staying away from all oat but if you want a boost that's what I would try.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM
Wait. ..
She mixed the formula with the goat milk or gave formula and gave goat milk??
Either way at 15 months your baby doesn't need formula. But I have personaly tasted goat milk, & im not a fan lol.
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 1, 2014 at 7:30 AM
It is slightly closer to human milk than cow's milk but it is MUCH closer to cow's milk than human milk. It is not appropriate as a formula substitute without being diluted and altered.

That said, at 15 months baby can get all he needs in the way of milk nursing just 3 times a day. No need for formula or alternative milks unless you want to offer them. Parental choice here.

Quoting Precious333: I dont know if adding it will help your supply. The only thing I know about goats milk is that its closer to human milk than cows milk and maybe even all other milks.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 1, 2014 at 11:12 AM
I think she was going to take the goats milk, not her baby, unless i heard incorrectly.

Quoting K8wizzo: It is slightly closer to human milk than cow's milk but it is MUCH closer to cow's milk than human milk. It is not appropriate as a formula substitute without being diluted and altered.

That said, at 15 months baby can get all he needs in the way of milk nursing just 3 times a day. No need for formula or alternative milks unless you want to offer them. Parental choice here.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM
I have heard that the herb, goat's rue, can be taken by the mother to raise supply. However, with a 15 month old, it's better to let him regulate the supply. Their nursing patterns can vary greatly after that first birthday.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Goats milk wont help your supply..coconut milk may...goats RUE may help your supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN