Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How to get my 3 month old to like the car...he screams the whole ride!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM
  • 23 Replies
I can barely handle my son crying literally the whole car ride...my two year old gets more frustrated than I do! What can I do to get him to like it..will he always be this way or should he grow out of it? OMG I totally need advice! Thx!
by on May. 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Is he comfortable? Is the seat too far inclined? Secure in his seat? The belts tight enough, but not crushing him? Does he have car toys? A mirror?

My DD just hated the infant seat. It was just uncomfortable. Once we switched to a convertible (rear facing still) no more screaming in the car!
MumB
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM
We'll he has the Chicco key fit which looks comfy to me...I tried taking out the extra padding, I got him elephant ears for head padding, and give him Paci, he has toys attached to the seat as we'll...I'm starting to think he is just too high maintenence! My first son loved the car and fell asleep every time! Maybe I should try his old car seat since it's still within expiration date;) I'm at a loss thank you for your reply!

Quoting MumsTheWord571: Is he comfortable? Is the seat too far inclined? Secure in his seat? The belts tight enough, but not crushing him? Does he have car toys? A mirror?

My DD just hated the infant seat. It was just uncomfortable. Once we switched to a convertible (rear facing still) no more screaming in the car!
locaporbebe
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM
I wish I could help my son cries 80% of the time in the car. His toys help some.
ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

It's a phase. My son screamed all the way from point a to point b until 14 months old. 

stilin54
by New Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

my first born HATED the car she cried even on 4 or 5 hour car trips when we traveled THE WHOLE WAY she would scream for a whole year (back in the day when when the recommendation was rearfacing until 1 year) the day we switched her seat  forward she stopped... she was definitely not one of those babies you hear people talk about putting their babies to sleep while driving around no way! but she was otherwise an amazing content baby she just hated the car.  so i would have to say just deal with it maybe get some sort of kid thing on the back of the seat for him to look at its tough   

MumB
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Oh my gosh !! That's horrible ..my hubby wanted to go on a road trip this weekend for a 5hour drive and I said absolutely not! He says oh he wouldn't cry the while way there is no way ad I hey you he would!! Good thing we didn't go;) thx for your response and hopefully this ends soon! He is only 10 weeks so I have a long time to deal I better just get used to it! Bummer!

Quoting stilin54:

my first born HATED the car she cried even on 4 or 5 hour car trips when we traveled THE WHOLE WAY she would scream for a whole year (back in the day when when the recommendation was rearfacing until 1 year) the day we switched her seat  forward she stopped... she was definitely not one of those babies you hear people talk about putting their babies to sleep while driving around no way! but she was otherwise an amazing content baby she just hated the car.  so i would have to say just deal with it maybe get some sort of kid thing on the back of the seat for him to look at its tough   

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 4, 2014 at 2:32 AM
My 4 month old is like that and has been since birth. He's actually getting a little better, but any car trip longer than 15 minutes and he screams. We changed to a convertible, gave him a paci, tried toys, nothing has worked.
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:08 AM
Could be a phase. Could be the car seat or direction he's facing or because he's not in your arms. It's hard to say. My son used to cry a lot in the car until he got a little older and became more interested in looking out the windows. Now he only cries in the car if he's hungry. I have heard lots of success stories with the larger and more adjustable convertible car seats. I'd say it's worth a try.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM
He will eventually grow out if if. It's a personality thing. My daughter was that way until she was over a year old, but my son never cries about anything period. Just hang in there and try to tune it out. (I know, nearly impossible!)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM
2 of my 4 screamed their heads off in the carseat. Both have clearly obvious sensory processing disorder. Everything feels exaggerated to them: too tight, too hot, to itchy, too hard. My older one, now 11, is mostly over it or copes for society's sake. But my nearly 5 year old, still a struggle with the carseat. We argue over it being too tight and where the chest clip needs to go (and the car seat is a cake walk compared to the daily issues we have over clothes). I very much remember the screaming little baby, feeling so stressed myself thinking I could crash the car like that. But sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do to convince them to feel something differently. Af least when they're a little older they can be temporarily distracted, sometimes bribed. For what it's worth it didn't matter what carseat she was in or what direction she's facing. She wanted OUT of the car seat and didn't care if I was driving. Some days it has me in tears with her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)