Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only one side producing and milk not in yet... help!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter was born Wednesday, and when I first breastfed her a half hour after she was born, she was a champion at it.  It was really comfortable and I was very encouraged.  Since then, it's very iffy whether we have a decent feeding or not.  I have lots of trouble figuring out how to hold her and sit, and it seems like she's not happy unless she's in just the perfect position.  She is great at finding a good latch, but she keeps latching for a few seconds, sucking a few times, and then pulling away and crying.  A nurse friend said it's because she is tired of colostrum and wants milk, but my milk isn't in yet.  The baby also seems to favor one side, so I was worried that the other side might not be producing.  I had DH test it out for me and he said he got nothing from that side :(  But she had a great long feeding from that side while we were in the hospital, and both sides were leaking a lot before I gave birth, so I don't know where it went!  I'm kind of worried about our bonding, because with all the visitors and things to do, it seems like the only time I get to spend with her is spent fighting to get her to feed while she cries and pulls away.  We go to the pediatrician tomorrow, and she had a good feeding from the "working" breast a little while ago, but I really don't want my daughter to be hungry, or for things to get any worse before they get better.

by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Tell everyone to go away. The nurse lied, your little one doesn't know your milk is going to change. Nurse on one side until she comes off and then offer the other side. If she doesn't take it then off it at the next feeding. You would be fine even if you never nursed on that side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mcmlx3v:

My daughter was born Wednesday,

Welcome and congrats! First thing to know; takes as long as a week for milk to come in. Colostrum is all baby needs in this time.

and when I first breastfed her a half hour after she was born, she was a champion at it.  It was really comfortable and I was very encouraged.  Since then, it's very iffy whether we have a decent feeding or not.  

Not unusual... let's see what's happening.

I have lots of trouble figuring out how to hold her and sit, and it seems like she's not happy unless she's in just the perfect position.  

Heh heh.. . so typical!

She is great at finding a good latch, but she keeps latching for a few seconds, sucking a few times, and then pulling away and crying.

Yep. She's telling your body to get moving. That's fine. Not anything to worry about.

A nurse friend said it's because she is tired of colostrum and wants milk, but my milk isn't in yet.  

No more advice from your nurse friend, OK. No such thing as what she's saying.

Baby has only one way to communicate EVERYTHING... crying.

The baby also seems to favor one side,

That's normal.

so I was worried that the other side might not be producing. I had DH test it out for me and he said he got nothing from that side :(

Means NOTHING. But no worries. There are mastectomy moms who nurse from one breast for a year or more. We all have a side that does more and a side that does less. THus far, for the most part I'm reading normal and nothing really to worry about.

But she had a great long feeding from that side while we were in the hospital, and both sides were leaking a lot before I gave birth, so I don't know where it went!  

Didn't go anywhere. It's there. Dad long ago outgrew being able to make things really happen with nursing, long before you met him. **smile**

I'm kind of worried about our bonding,

Have you eaten her or thrown her out the wndow? No? Bonding is good, then. Don't buy into the rose-colored glasses thing about bonding; at this stage it's merely Infant Kung Fu to keep you from doing something bad because she's making you nuts. The rose-colored glasses stuff? That comes later in life and happens DAILY. It's reading stories and picking flowers and baking cookies, etc.

because with all the visitors and things to do,

Toll for visiting you and the baby is a chore or a casserole. Unless the visitor is too old or too young to provide either. Trust me here!

it seems like the only time I get to spend with her is spent fighting to get her to feed while she cries and pulls away.  We go to the pediatrician tomorrow, and she had a good feeding from the "working" breast a little while ago, but I really don't want my daughter to be hungry, or for things to get any worse before they get better.

She's a newborn. She'll be hungry all the time. It's their nature. Not a worry.

I WOULD get baby checked for a tongue tie. And it's possible your letdown is a little too fast for her. That's what happened with mine. He fought me for two solid weeks.

Get referred to an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant IMMEDIATELY. That will make all the difference for you.

Be aware, whoever called babies "bundles of joy" never had one... and newborns are enDURED rather than enJOYED!

You're going to be fine, really! We'll get you through.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM
What they said!^^
BrittSam2011
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM

If you think your supply may be weird on one side try pumping it. I always pump some in the hospital to get my milk to come faster. And it could just be she doesn't like the shape of your breast. My boys were all picky and liked my right side more because it was smaller and easier to latch on.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LifesALilHectic
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You have an awesome hubby... My hubby would never try out the boob for me haha. Talk to the ped about it... Make sure you drink plenty of water and take your prenatals. I know its frustrating, but just keep her attatched to your boob ussing skin to skin. remain relaxed because she may sense your stress.

mcmlx3v
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Thank you so, so much!  This post was so reassuring to me that (in my postpartum hormonal state) I actually cried reading it, because I was so relieved.  I can't even tell you how grateful I am.  After I posted this question, I fed from the "working" side again and noticed halfway through that baby's swaddle was all wet near her feet because the colostrum was just pouring out of my "non-working" side as she nursed!  So I guess they both work after all!  I just fed her from that side, and she did fine.  I do think she has a tongue tie, though.  The hospital pediatrician said she thought it seemed minor, but to me it looks like it's all the way to the end of her tongue, so maybe that's part of our problem.  Anyway, thank you again, and everyone else who replied.  I like this group.  I'll be back :D

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mcmlx3v:

My daughter was born Wednesday,

Welcome and congrats! First thing to know; takes as long as a week for milk to come in. Colostrum is all baby needs in this time.

and when I first breastfed her a half hour after she was born, she was a champion at it.  It was really comfortable and I was very encouraged.  Since then, it's very iffy whether we have a decent feeding or not.  

Not unusual... let's see what's happening.

I have lots of trouble figuring out how to hold her and sit, and it seems like she's not happy unless she's in just the perfect position.  

Heh heh.. . so typical!

She is great at finding a good latch, but she keeps latching for a few seconds, sucking a few times, and then pulling away and crying.

Yep. She's telling your body to get moving. That's fine. Not anything to worry about.

A nurse friend said it's because she is tired of colostrum and wants milk, but my milk isn't in yet.  

No more advice from your nurse friend, OK. No such thing as what she's saying.

Baby has only one way to communicate EVERYTHING... crying.

The baby also seems to favor one side,

That's normal.

so I was worried that the other side might not be producing. I had DH test it out for me and he said he got nothing from that side :(

Means NOTHING. But no worries. There are mastectomy moms who nurse from one breast for a year or more. We all have a side that does more and a side that does less. THus far, for the most part I'm reading normal and nothing really to worry about.

But she had a great long feeding from that side while we were in the hospital, and both sides were leaking a lot before I gave birth, so I don't know where it went!  

Didn't go anywhere. It's there. Dad long ago outgrew being able to make things really happen with nursing, long before you met him. **smile**

I'm kind of worried about our bonding,

Have you eaten her or thrown her out the wndow? No? Bonding is good, then. Don't buy into the rose-colored glasses thing about bonding; at this stage it's merely Infant Kung Fu to keep you from doing something bad because she's making you nuts. The rose-colored glasses stuff? That comes later in life and happens DAILY. It's reading stories and picking flowers and baking cookies, etc.

because with all the visitors and things to do,

Toll for visiting you and the baby is a chore or a casserole. Unless the visitor is too old or too young to provide either. Trust me here!

it seems like the only time I get to spend with her is spent fighting to get her to feed while she cries and pulls away.  We go to the pediatrician tomorrow, and she had a good feeding from the "working" breast a little while ago, but I really don't want my daughter to be hungry, or for things to get any worse before they get better.

She's a newborn. She'll be hungry all the time. It's their nature. Not a worry.

I WOULD get baby checked for a tongue tie. And it's possible your letdown is a little too fast for her. That's what happened with mine. He fought me for two solid weeks.

Get referred to an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant IMMEDIATELY. That will make all the difference for you.

Be aware, whoever called babies "bundles of joy" never had one... and newborns are enDURED rather than enJOYED!

You're going to be fine, really! We'll get you through.

Seximama23
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM
If baby has a tie get it fixed ASAP!

Congrats on the baby!

Your doing fine..the first 6-8 weeks are the worst because baby will live on the boobies lol.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM
If you can, take a picture with her top lip turned up and one of her mouth open, like when she's crying. We may be able to spot the tie.
mcmlx3v
by on May. 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Oh, the tie is easy to see.  But if the pediatrician tomorrow disagrees about that, I will post a pic to see what you all think and maybe get a second opinion from a different doctor.  DH was born with a tongue tie, so we were already thinking about the possibility before the baby was even born.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you can, take a picture with her top lip turned up and one of her mouth open, like when she's crying. We may be able to spot the tie.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM

ARGH to that ped, I hope the one seeing her ASAP sees it! They are pretty darn obvious.  If the ped says no..open babies mouth and say whats this then!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)