Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New...low milk supply.... :(

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM
  • 22 Replies
This is my 3rd baby and I failed to produce enough milk with either of my first 2 and gave up really early. This time I'm doing my best but my son who is 11 days old isn't getting enough milk so I started using an sns tube to supplement right off at about day 3. He quickly figured out how to suck that down and would want more. I reluctantly started offering bottles after he'd fed off both breasts. After that I pump and get about an ounce total every 3 to 4 hours. He's got a great latch, eats from my breast better than the bottle and nurses at least every 2 hours for roughly 45 minutes. I'm doing all I can think of, mm tea, fenugreek, etc. I'm extremely hydrated and am not sure what else to do. He'd lost so much weight after birth( I did not have iv fluids or meds) that the pediatrician wouldn't release him from the hospital without supplementing. I have some medical issues that could be playing in as well. I have chronic anemia issues and do not absorb iron except by iv, I have hypothyroidism and take a large dose of synthroid. Vitamin D deficiency as well. Am I doomed to my small supply? I am okay with knowing he's getting at least some breastmilk if this is the best it'll be...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Other than the weight loss are their any indications of low supply. How are his diapers. Lexi lost over a pound in the hospital before my milk came in.
Keda84
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Bump
polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM
What's his diaper count? How big are the bottles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRamma
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM
If you count poo as two he's in the 12ish neighborhood for 24 hours. The bottles are 1.5 to 2 ounces after my feedings. Sometimes he's satisfied.

Quoting polkaspots: What's his diaper count? How big are the bottles?
MamaRamma
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM
He's just constantly feeding and cluster feeding if I don't offer bottles. I'm fine with all the boob time but he gets angry, screams and his diaper count drops in half.

Quoting nocalmegan: Other than the weight loss are their any indications of low supply. How are his diapers. Lexi lost over a pound in the hospital before my milk came in.
polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Don't look for satisfied. You have way more diapers than you need. I don't see why you're supplementing. Those bottles are full feedings. You're going to cause major supply issues if you continue this way. I would stop giving them and just nurse. Nurse at every wiggle and keep track of diapers.

Quoting MamaRamma: If you count poo as two he's in the 12ish neighborhood for 24 hours. The bottles are 1.5 to 2 ounces after my feedings. Sometimes he's satisfied.

Quoting polkaspots: What's his diaper count? How big are the bottles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM
You need five diapers a day, you have over twice that. Babies are always hungry and want to nurse all the time. Was he checked for ties?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this
So more than enough diapers. Huge bottles for this age. You don't want satisfied in a bf baby. You want a miserable, screaming infant that only wants to nurse. That is how you bring in a full milk supply. Each oz you supplement is 1oz less your body knows to produce.
What is the full weight history? Birth, lowest, current. All done on same scale or different?
I honestly would ditch the formula, pump, SNS and bottles. Keep baby at your breasts.

Quoting MamaRamma: He's just constantly feeding and cluster feeding if I don't offer bottles. I'm fine with all the boob time but he gets angry, screams and his diaper count drops in half.

Quoting nocalmegan: Other than the weight loss are their any indications of low supply. How are his diapers. Lexi lost over a pound in the hospital before my milk came in.
MamaRamma
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM
No. I never considered it. His latch is fabulous.

Quoting polkaspots: You need five diapers a day, you have over twice that. Babies are always hungry and want to nurse all the time. Was he checked for ties?
polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Lmao I've never heard someone refer to a latch as fabulous. A tongue tie could be causing him to get less hind milk than he should which could be causing the constant cluster feedings, if there is a problem. I'd suggest checking.

Quoting MamaRamma: No. I never considered it. His latch is fabulous.

Quoting polkaspots: You need five diapers a day, you have over twice that. Babies are always hungry and want to nurse all the time. Was he checked for ties?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)