Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does anyone make time for anything besides feedings?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM
  • 40 Replies
Breastfeeding is going well, baby is almost 5 weeks old. Haven't had a checkup since 2 weeks but she looks like she's gaining to me and we have plenty of dirty diapers. I'm over the moon happy that I'm doing well with this baby since I didn't with my first.

I nurse her any time she shows cues of wanting to nurse. I keep reading that that's how you build supply. Makes sense.

But I'm wondering, from you veterans, if breastfeeding is always this time consuming? I'm about to return to work full time and I'm wondering how I'll get anything done at home.

It's already been nearly impossible to do things. We have two other kids, almost 5 and 3. I'm not delusional enough to stress over a clean house but I do need to cook dinner, wash clothes and bathe kids.. That sort of thing. But I always feel confined to the couch.

Does it get better? Any tips on how to manage the little time I do have?
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
locaporbebe
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM
My older kids are always asking me "is he really eating AGAIN?!" It takes up the bulk if my time. Just remember it doesn't last forever.
TLIF1281
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Oh yeah! It gets so much better! Hang in there have hubby help for right now. Baby will soon only nurse every 2 hours then the timespan will just get greater from there. Breastmilk is easily digested. My lol nursed every 45 mins for the first couple of months. She is 5 mo now n sleeps at night for up to 9 hours. Not every night but those times she does I sure don't sleep 9 hours lol! I am checkin on her every few hours.
amanda_mom89
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM
How old is your baby?

And yeah lol. That's what I feel like.. Really? Again?

I don't resent the time spent.. I just don't know how to manage the rest of what I need to do.

Quoting locaporbebe: My older kids are always asking me "is he really eating AGAIN?!" It takes up the bulk if my time. Just remember it doesn't last forever.
amanda_mom89
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM
He does help but he's not home during the day time.. He's in cosmetology school full time. Once I go back to work we may be on opposite shifts for a while (where I'm home Am and he's home from pm) my boss hasn't figured out my schedule yet.

I just nursed her for almost an hour, got her to sleep, put her in the swing and not even 15 minutes later she was fussing. Rooting, sucking on fists, turning head.

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

Quoting TLIF1281: Oh yeah! It gets so much better! Hang in there have hubby help for right now. Baby will soon only nurse every 2 hours then the timespan will just get greater from there. Breastmilk is easily digested. My lol nursed every 45 mins for the first couple of months. She is 5 mo now n sleeps at night for up to 9 hours. Not every night but those times she does I sure don't sleep 9 hours lol! I am checkin on her every few hours.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

The early period can be very time consuming.  It does get better as baby gets on a schedule and spaces feedings out some.  But then there are growth spurts, teething, etc that can throw it off again.

I simplified.  On a good day, I'd cook a lot of extra food and store it in the fridge.  That 5 year old is old enough to be put to work on some simple tasks!  And chances are, the 3 year old will copy and help.  I made my 5 year old son think of it as a game.  OK, go find all the dishes in this room and put them in the kitchen!  If you get them all on the first try, you can have 3 skittles.  If it takes 2 tries, 2 skittles.  And we'd go room to room until he'd earned a reasonable amount of skittles.

I also used disposable dishes for light meals.  Sandwich, chips, and salad?  Paper plate.  Dinner of meatballs and pasta?  Yeah, let's use the real plates.

I'd cook up casseroles in tins that I could choose to clean or toss.

In the summer, I'd shamelessly just hose the kids off.  Soap every day isn't good for their skin, so if they just got a little dirty we'd play in the water for a bit.  Or I'd let them take some soap outside with them and scrub them off, let them rinse in the sprinkler.

I set up nursing stations.  For some reason, slings and carriers never worked for me.  I'm busty with a short torso and BIG babies, so logistically I could never get young babies to line up with the right parts...So instead I'd have a comfy chair and cushion on the back patio to observe outdoor play.  A rocker in the computer room and balance baby on my boppy so I could do stuff online.  A chair and cushion brought into the kitchen let me keep an eye on the stove while sitting with baby.

And if worse came to worse, I'd leave the baby with DH to get something done quick.  Yeah, they got impatient a few times, but a small wait never hurt them.  I'd do my best to time it out so I could finish whatever task, but during a growth spurt it wasn't possible.  We'd just do our best to tag team things.

MaryJarrett
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM
It does get easier. Do you have a carrier? Wrex pretty much lived in his ringsling while nursing for the newborn stage. Hands free so I could home school, make detergents, cook, shop, clean, workout, everything. Even now at 7m, he's worn 75% of the time. As she gets older, she'll nurse shorter with more time between.
amanda_mom89
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Thank you :) very helpful

We live in a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath duplex apartment. So in bed or on the couch are the only places I can really nurse. Well, I have nursed on the front porch in a camping/baseball chair a couple of times.

Most days the 5 year old is really helpful. The other day I started to clean and she asked what she could do to help me. Today has been a rough day. Lots of fighting with her sister and she colored on the fabric part of my car door. Sigh.

DH and I will split the kids up for certain things to be accomplished. I always keep the baby with me but sometimes one or both of the older girls stay with him.

Going back to work will be another adjustment. So far I'm not seeing truth to the "3 kids isn't really any harder than 2" statement. Lol. My house is chaotic.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

The early period can be very time consuming.  It does get better as baby gets on a schedule and spaces feedings out some.  But then there are growth spurts, teething, etc that can throw it off again.

I simplified.  On a good day, I'd cook a lot of extra food and store it in the fridge.  That 5 year old is old enough to be put to work on some simple tasks!  And chances are, the 3 year old will copy and help.  I made my 5 year old son think of it as a game.  OK, go find all the dishes in this room and put them in the kitchen!  If you get them all on the first try, you can have 3 skittles.  If it takes 2 tries, 2 skittles.  And we'd go room to room until he'd earned a reasonable amount of skittles.

I also used disposable dishes for light meals.  Sandwich, chips, and salad?  Paper plate.  Dinner of meatballs and pasta?  Yeah, let's use the real plates.

I'd cook up casseroles in tins that I could choose to clean or toss.

In the summer, I'd shamelessly just hose the kids off.  Soap every day isn't good for their skin, so if they just got a little dirty we'd play in the water for a bit.  Or I'd let them take some soap outside with them and scrub them off, let them rinse in the sprinkler.

I set up nursing stations.  For some reason, slings and carriers never worked for me.  I'm busty with a short torso and BIG babies, so logistically I could never get young babies to line up with the right parts...So instead I'd have a comfy chair and cushion on the back patio to observe outdoor play.  A rocker in the computer room and balance baby on my boppy so I could do stuff online.  A chair and cushion brought into the kitchen let me keep an eye on the stove while sitting with baby.

And if worse came to worse, I'd leave the baby with DH to get something done quick.  Yeah, they got impatient a few times, but a small wait never hurt them.  I'd do my best to time it out so I could finish whatever task, but during a growth spurt it wasn't possible.  We'd just do our best to tag team things.

amanda_mom89
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Yes, I have knockoff wrap type carrier. Haven't figured out how to nurse in it just yet since she needs help getting latched. I do wear her a lot but I do still have some back pain which I think is from my spinal block before my c-section.

Some days I'm super mom and other days I feel like I have a dozen kids. That I'm just exhausted and overwhelmed.

Quoting MaryJarrett: It does get easier. Do you have a carrier? Wrex pretty much lived in his ringsling while nursing for the newborn stage. Hands free so I could home school, make detergents, cook, shop, clean, workout, everything. Even now at 7m, he's worn 75% of the time. As she gets older, she'll nurse shorter with more time between.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM
The beginning was like that. I had a 19m old when Lexi was born and I felt like all I did was nurse. By three months there were 2 hours between feedings and they just continued to get farther apart. I wore Lexi a lot too which helped. My ergo is really easy to nurse in and came with a NB insert
SeattleBabyBump
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM
You could try nursing in a sling. That allows you to move around and use your hands to get things done. Although honestly I don't remember getting anything done the first couple of months. If hubby isn't home to help, maybe you could ask for help from a friend or family member? And frozen meals are a huge life saver in those early weeks. I think I nursed about 10 hours a day in the beginning. No joke. And I know a lot of moms where that was closer to 20. It can feel like you're pinned down! Hang in there. The nursing sessions do get MUCH faster later on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)