• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning advice please!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM
  • 6 Replies

LO is one on Friday. As much as I don't mind her self weaning, I'm ready to be done pumping at work. And she handle regular milk ok. Currently she takes 2-5 oz breast milk during the workday along with regular meals and nurses on my return. She sometimes goes several hours without nursing but still demands it regularly. How will not pumping effect supply? Will this start the drying up process? Or will the milk hold till I nurse her again? I tell myself supply=demand! but......

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You're right. Supply and demand. Quite pumping at work, nurse when together. It will be fine. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Start by shortening your pumping sessions, then eliminate one per week. This will ward off plugged ducts or mastitis. You can continue to nurse whenever you are with her. Your supply will indeed adjust. From here on out, it's your and her call! :-)
Mamasita7176
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I pumped before work and 2x at work until 11 mo. Then dropped one session at work as she was taking less than I would pump. Friday as an experiment, I pumped before work but not at work. I was not feelin like I'd burst, so I didn't. But LO doesn't appear easy to give it up completely yet. Lol

polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM
You'll be fine, no need to send milk at all. You could keep doing your morning pump and send that everyday if you want. You're completely fine without pumping at work unless you need to for comfort.
My kid needed a cup of milk before nap at that age, so I still left milk for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Drop one pump session this week. And drop one per week till gone. Supply will be FINE. 

Most of us dump the pump at one year. You could find yourself still nursing when home for 1-2-3 more years even without the pumping.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM
You want to do it Slowly. If you just stop pumping all at once you may be hurting & get some problems the other ladies mentioned. Cow milk really is not necessary though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)