Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my cousin is going back to work....

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM
  • 8 Replies
Her baby girl is only 2 week, she will start work in two weeks, so she will only be 4 weeks old..she is only working on saturday, maybe Sunday to start with. I suggested looking up on kellymom how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby, as well as paced bottle feeding. She works long hours, and her boyfriend could bring baby to work. Shr also has a sling, but hasnt fully got the hang of nursing in it (which is expected, her baby is so young). I never left my babies that young, I am a sahm, but I know that at such a young age they nurse so much. So, does anyone have any additional information that I can pass on? Thanks :)
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM
She will need to start pumping once every morning before or during the first morning feeding. She should do this every day, working or not. She will need to pump every 2-3 hours while at work. Kellymom.com also has information on working, pumping and storage.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on May. 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Ok,.I told her atleast every 4 hours, but 2-3 hours is best for that age, or is it a forever number?

Quoting MusherMaggie: She will need to start pumping once every morning before or during the first morning feeding. She should do this every day, working or not. She will need to pump every 2-3 hours while at work. Kellymom.com also has information on working, pumping and storage.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Precious333: Ok,.I told her atleast every 4 hours, but 2-3 hours is best for that age, or is it a forever number?

Quoting MusherMaggie: She will need to start pumping once every morning before or during the first morning feeding. She should do this every day, working or not. She will need to pump every 2-3 hours while at work. Kellymom.com also has information on working, pumping and storage.

She will need to do every 2-3 hours in order to maintain supply, especially with going back so soon. She will absolutely have to nurse on demand when she is home. Diaper count tells the story: a minimum of six diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on May. 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Ok. Thanks

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting Precious333: Ok,.I told her atleast every 4 hours, but 2-3 hours is best for that age, or is it a forever number?

She will need to do every 2-3 hours in order to maintain supply, especially with going back so soon. She will absolutely have to nurse on demand when she is home. Diaper count tells the story: a minimum of six diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two.
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM

For a working mom, once for every three hours away is best. But she really needs to concern herself with overworking, too. Never mind the breastfeeding; at one month in she may not have the stamina back yet. So tell her to pay careful attention and if she's feeling too tired, to sit down or take a break.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on May. 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM
I know, i wish she would just cancel. She said she wanted to wait until June, but they asked for end of May, and then she went over her edd... then they kept on adding clients (she is a make up artist)..i dont think she realizes that recovery takes time.

Quoting gdiamante:

For a working mom, once for every three hours away is best. But she really needs to concern herself with overworking, too. Never mind the breastfeeding; at one month in she may not have the stamina back yet. So tell her to pay careful attention and if she's feeling too tired, to sit down or take a break.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh man that is so,so, young! 😐
Atleast its only 1 or 2 days. But the long hours is whats bad. Im a sahm too but if i had to work i would prefer more days but only work 4 hours a day.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Try to make bottles minimum, if baby can be brought to her or if baby can get ont he cycle to sleep the hours om works it wouldbe GREAT!

Tell her to start pumping once a day everyday and store that milk, NO bottles til baby absolutely needs them no training with them is needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)