Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thrush AGAIN! What can I do?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my 2 month old has thrush again! This is the third time now. I'm going to call his Dr tomorrow, even though his 2 month check up is Thursday. I'm pretty sure that I have thrush on my nipples, and its VERY painful to bf. Even if I take him in tomorrow to have his mouth painted AGAIN, I still this we are just passing it back and forth. What can I do to get rid of it? Can thrush affect his latch, or how much he is gaining? None of my other kids kept getting it back.

by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MaryJarrett
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM
You need to have been treating both of you from the beginning. Which method are you using to treat it?
BrittSam2011
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM

My third was exactly like that. So frustrating for both of us. Ask the doctor to give you a prescription for liquid Nystatin. It's an anti fungal and works great. Make sure you try to keep it in the baby's mouth for as long possible and paint your nipples with it before and after breastfeeding. It actually tastes pretty good, so the baby probably won't mind it so much.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

preacherskid
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM

We use gentian violet, available through Walgreens, we get it in three packs from Amazon.  I put a few drops in about a half teaspoon of water, paint it on my nipples right before a nursing, and that treats both of us.  Ususally a mild to moderate case of thrush will take a few days of the treatment.  If we get thrush I also wash everything that comes into contact with me or her mouth in hot water and vinegar until the thrush is gone-this includes bras.  Both of you need to be treated at the same time or you will never be rid of it. 

polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I use a baking soda solution in baby's mouth and on myself every feeding, then I use coconut oil on myself and baby's diaper area. I run the laundry through a vinegar rinse. We've had thrush twice since my two year old was born and two yeast rashes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Thrush is fungal so both of you need to be treated at the same time. And you have to wash your bras & what ever comes in contact with your boobs in very hot vinegar water, detergent by its self wont kill it.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM
What they said. I use gentran violet as well. In addition to sterilizing (EVERYTHING that comes into contact with either of us) I do vinegar washes on myself before and after feedings.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Look up thrush on kellymom.com. All the best remedies and procedures are listed. No liquid Nystatin--it contains sugar, which feeds the yeast. However, a round of Diflucan from your doctor would probably be a good idea.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I used gentian violet to fix up thrush in 3 days and my dd had a cotton white mouth and I had nipples on fire. The very last thing I'd recommend is the liquid nystatin, for the reason already mentioned: it's in a sugar suspension that FEEDS the yeast. Kellymom offers several alternatives that are more effective.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)