Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Placenta pills and supply

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 13 Replies

Anyone else take placenta pills? Have you noticed a difference in supply whether it be up or down? I get a great energy boost from them and it shortens my period drastically if I take them but it seems to kill supply for a few days, it sucks! The trade off is long painful period but perfect and even engorgement high supply or take the pills have a short painless period but low supply.

by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM
I get super engorged if it take mine these days. I didn't think about taking them during my period. I'm going to try that!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Since the delivery of the placenta triggers the hormonal cascade that begins milk production, I would imagine that ingesting placenta pills would at least partially reverse that process and cause a drop in supply. I would look for other things to boost energy, such as chia seeds and coconut oil.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I take them to ease PMS and help energy...I dont have to take them but if I do life is better lol.  It was strange the first day with no pill my supply was HIGH like had to hand express at like 1030 at night becuase I was engorged and at 9 months thats not happened since he was 2 weeks old! I'm eatting lactation cookies today made by a friend so we shall see if it helps.  I know he is getting enough but my pumping has gone down and hes not as sleepy after nursing....for me thats a drop in supply signal...yes I know I know its not supposed to be but after 7  years I know my body well lol

Quoting MusherMaggie: Since the delivery of the placenta triggers the hormonal cascade that begins milk production, I would imagine that ingesting placenta pills would at least partially reverse that process and cause a drop in supply. I would look for other things to boost energy, such as chia seeds and coconut oil.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I always get a boost in supply when taking them.

Kaybean
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM
I never have before but plan to have my placenta encapsulated after I have this baby.
Kaybean
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Consuming your placenta after birth helps boost milk supply.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Since the delivery of the placenta triggers the hormonal cascade that begins milk production, I would imagine that ingesting placenta pills would at least partially reverse that process and cause a drop in supply. I would look for other things to boost energy, such as chia seeds and coconut oil.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

It doesnt seem to for me, it seems to hurt supply and this is what local moms re finding now too if supply is full established then the pills can hinder letdown and production.

Quoting Kaybean: Consuming your placenta after birth helps boost milk supply.

Kaybean
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Huh, I've read nothing but the opposite. I don't know if moms with an established supply would need it but at least following birth during the first week or two I have read nothing but good things for supply.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

It doesnt seem to for me, it seems to hurt supply and this is what local moms re finding now too if supply is full established then the pills can hinder letdown and production.

ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM

They cause engorgement for me. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

They are great to help with post partum periods, especially the first ones.  They also help if you have problesm emotionally.  I took them when I first returned to work becuase I felt down and they helped LOADS

Quoting Kaybean: Huh, I've read nothing but the opposite. I don't know if moms with an established supply would need it but at least following birth during the first week or two I have read nothing but good things for supply.
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)