Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How can you tell?

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

How can you tell te difference between comfort nursing and actually eating? It seems like for longest Autumn doesn't actually eat, she just comfort nurses. I rarely get a let down and I don't hear or feel the milk anymore. . Also does anyone else's baby rub their breasts when nursing? She rubs it and squeezes it (whole hand, not pinchig)
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Rubbing and squeezing encourages faster milk flow. If she's doing that, she's taking in milk.
Comfort nursing feels different to me. I can't explain it though lol. It's normal to not feel letdown too, doesn't mean you aren't having them. In fact, most people only ever feel the first big one, but then not the few after it in a session.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I didn't really feel letdown after the first few months. I think sometimes when comfort nursing, their sucking was shallower and the rythym wasn't as steady. Milk still flows, though, just not as fast.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
When remi comfort nurses it feels different. Not as hard as sucking for milk. Like he's putting less work into it.
svolkov
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Agree! More like the barely suckling right as they fall asleep

Quoting hip2it: When remi comfort nurses it feels different. Not as hard as sucking for milk. Like he's putting less work into it.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I just keep thinking she's not getting enough or any milk and that I'm drying up.

Quoting MaryJarrett: Rubbing and squeezing encourages faster milk flow. If she's doing that, she's taking in milk.
Comfort nursing feels different to me. I can't explain it though lol. It's normal to not feel letdown too, doesn't mean you aren't having them. In fact, most people only ever feel the first big one, but then not the few after it in a session.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM
I'm so use to feeling a letdown and her working so hard to get milk out to get a letdown. Ever since her lip tie was clipped it's like she doesn't suck hard and I don't get letdown as often. Maybe once every couple days.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I didn't really feel letdown after the first few months. I think sometimes when comfort nursing, their sucking was shallower and the rythym wasn't as steady. Milk still flows, though, just not as fast.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM

You'd only be drying up if you were doing something to dry up.  When Willow weaned when she was 2 I could still express milk 8 months later.

Quoting mama-smurf: I just keep thinking she's not getting enough or any milk and that I'm drying up.
Quoting MaryJarrett: Rubbing and squeezing encourages faster milk flow. If she's doing that, she's taking in milk. Comfort nursing feels different to me. I can't explain it though lol. It's normal to not feel letdown too, doesn't mean you aren't having them. In fact, most people only ever feel the first big one, but then not the few after it in a session.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM
That's exactly how she acts like! Majority of the time she uses me to go to sleep. Rarely she wants to nurse but for some reason the few occasions she does come up to me to nurse he just at food.

Quoting svolkov: Agree! More like the barely suckling right as they fall asleep

Quoting hip2it: When remi comfort nurses it feels different. Not as hard as sucking for milk. Like he's putting less work into it.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Like what? I don't want to wean her. I don't think I'm doing anything different from before she turned one besides offering foods and she doesn't want to nurse as much. I'm just so use to nursing her nonstop to where she nurses maybe 5 times a day.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

You'd only be drying up if you were doing something to dry up.  When Willow weaned when she was 2 I could still express milk 8 months later.

Quoting mama-smurf: I just keep thinking she's not getting enough or any milk and that I'm drying up.

Quoting MaryJarrett: Rubbing and squeezing encourages faster milk flow. If she's doing that, she's taking in milk.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Like taking estrogen.

That's pretty much it.  When Willow weaned she was only nursing once a day, at bedtime.  Unless she got hurt, and then sometimes she'd nurse then (depending on her mood)

It's normal for them to start nursing less now, but she could still nurse 3-4 times a day until she's 3, and you'll still have milk for her. :)

I rarely feel letdown now too, and Katara rubs and massages my breasts while nursing. :) 

Quoting mama-smurf: Like what? I don't want to wean her. I don't think I'm doing anything different from before she turned one besides offering foods and she doesn't want to nurse as much. I'm just so use to nursing her nonstop to where she nurses maybe 5 times a day.
Quoting JadeTigr7:

Quoting MaryJarrett: Rubbing and squeezing encourages faster milk flow. If she's doing that, she's taking in milk. Comfort nursing feels different to me. I can't explain it though lol. It's normal to not feel letdown too, doesn't mean you aren't having them. In fact, most people only ever feel the first big one, but then not the few after it in a session.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN