Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk just came in, engorged, no pump

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 12:19 AM
  • 29 Replies

My milk came in today and my boobs are giant rocks tonight.  My baby is still so little that she doesn't eat much yet, and when she does feed, she's really picky and constantly unlatches/relatches, then sucks for a short time and passes out.  I called my doctor today in desperation and asked them to write me a prescription for a pump... they did, but my insurance will only cover it if ordered through a few particular pharmacies, and the nearest is two hours away.  My awesome husband is willing to drive there tomorrow to pick it up, but man, what to do until then?  I'm considering it a good thing that they are leaking a little because at least something is getting out, but it's not enough.  I feel like hand expressing is really inefficient and is just going to end up stimulating even more milk production.  It's not physically possible for breasts to explode, right?  gosh...

by on May. 6, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_pink_tink
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:24 AM
You kinda want the stimulation! Hand express is the only other option besides feeding at this point with no pump. Try to keep baby awake. Strip her down, massage the palms of her hands, 'tickle' her back are some examples to keep her awake while eating
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Pumping will only compound the problem, in my opinion. It's all about supply and demand. If you're demanding more than what baby is taking, you'll continue to produce more than what baby takes. What you're afraid of happening (milk production stimulation) with hand expression is much more likely with pumping. Make sense?

You can hand express to the point of relief, but otherwise, my advice would be to just continue nursing. Your supply will regulate eventually.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM

They won't explode.

Ice packs can help a LOT. And keep baby at the breast as much as possible.

Secretly101
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM
I am fairly new to the whole breastfeeding thing, however I would take a warm\hot shower and hand express in there. Or you can do a cold compress but I would do the shower. I have and it helped me...good luck mama.
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 6, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Normal Nursing

Good info.

cjsix
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:33 AM

The advice above is good! Momma you don't need a pump. Save the money and use it for some nursing bras,things for baby,etc...

Mommylovesdada
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 1:18 AM
I would hand express or take a hot shower to get it down some. Then try latching baby
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM
Hand express to soften things up. Reclined nursing: you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Look.up "reverse pressure softening" on Kellymom.com.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 6, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Warm showers are good for encouraging production and letdown and softening hard breasts but you want COLD for the swelling and overproduction. Hand express or pump only enough to take the edge off but you don't want your body thinking you have twins to feed.
amc103
by Alli on May. 6, 2014 at 8:09 AM

this! I would say, if you're that engorged right now, hand expression is the best. A pump will make it worse. :-(

Quoting justone_jen:

Pumping will only compound the problem, in my opinion. It's all about supply and demand. If you're demanding more than what baby is taking, you'll continue to produce more than what baby takes. What you're afraid of happening (milk production stimulation) with hand expression is much more likely with pumping. Make sense?

You can hand express to the point of relief, but otherwise, my advice would be to just continue nursing. Your supply will regulate eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)