Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Oiiiiiii big problem....advice???

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM
  • 28 Replies

Ok, it's been many years since I've smoked weed, since my teenage days before having my beauitful boys.  I know this girl who is planning on breastfeeding...USUALLY, I'm very supportive, of course.  But in this case, I don't think it's a good idea.  She doesn't do any heavy drugs as far as I know, but she smokes marijuana multiple times a day and drinks (her due date is 4 days before mine...shes going to pop any day now).  From what I understand, smoking weed is bad when breastfeeding...and I know drinking, you have to plan ahead and pump before hand and what not.  I did ask her if she was going to stop smoking the weed, and she said...and I quote "for what? it's not gonna hurt her any."  If she breastfeeds and puts that shit in that baby's system...I wouldn't hesitate to report her to child services.  Am I wrong on this?  I'm assuming that it would be transfered to the baby and if the baby was tested, I would think it would come up positive? 

I just don't think it's right if you drink and smoke weed to breastfeed because I would think it'd be harmful to the baby....thoughts, opinions...advice??  What can it do to the baby if she BFs while drinking/smoking weed??

Pregnancy Ticker
by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on May. 6, 2014 at 3:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Unless the mom is drunk, her milk is not drunk and she can nurse her baby. Safe to drive, safe to nurse. No need to pump and dump or plan ahead unless you know you're going to get plastered.

I also have heard that it is safe to smoke weed while bf.

I personally would never do either one of those while bf, because I just don't Iike doing either one, but I've seen proof that not enough gets through to the baby in mom's milk.

justone_jen
by Jen on May. 6, 2014 at 3:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I guarantee my opinion will be an unpopular one, but I have no qualms with marijuana use during pregnancy or breastfeeding, aside from legalities. Obviously, I'd prefer a mother didn't smoke it (during pregnancy), but there are alternatives to smoking.

Alcohol, I don't agree with during pregnancy, though I don't think any less of a mother who has an occasional glass of wine/beer. While breastfeeding, I have no issue with a mother drinking a couple beers, or glasses of wine. Safe to drive, safe to nurse.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 6:25 AM
I don't know if it would be listed, but you could look up marijuana on Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline. You might have to call, but it would be worth it. Second and third hand smoke would also be of concern. If she is going to smoke anything, it should be outside away from the baby. She should shower and put on clean clothes before nursing.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 6, 2014 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Getting drunk while breastfeeding, a big no. A drink or two while breastfeeding has been demonstrated as safe. A baby of a pot smoking mother is going to test positive for marijuana and you can't argue with child services over how safe you heard marijuana while breastfeeding might be.
NDADanceMom
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Quoting mostlymaydays: Getting drunk while breastfeeding, a big no. A drink or two while breastfeeding has been demonstrated as safe. A baby of a pot smoking mother is going to test positive for marijuana and you can't argue with child services over how safe you heard marijuana while breastfeeding might be.

Im no expert but my LC said that even one or 2 drinks a day everyday is a problem.  I dont remember why, she had a reason but I dont drink often so I didnt retain it lol. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Its a sign of a drinking problem. but it wont hurt baby honestly

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mostlymaydays: Getting drunk while breastfeeding, a big no. A drink or two while breastfeeding has been demonstrated as safe. A baby of a pot smoking mother is going to test positive for marijuana and you can't argue with child services over how safe you heard marijuana while breastfeeding might be.

Im no expert but my LC said that even one or 2 drinks a day everyday is a problem.  I dont remember why, she had a reason but I dont drink often so I didnt retain it lol. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

NON US studies show benefits to smoking weed while BFing over depression med use but since pot is illegal in the US I dont recommend it.  They DO test in m ost hospitals when she delivers so she may have an issue then.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Ok, it's been many years since I've smoked weed, since my teenage days before having my beauitful boys.  I know this girl who is planning on breastfeeding...USUALLY, I'm very supportive, of course.  But in this case, I don't think it's a good idea.  She doesn't do any heavy drugs as far as I know, but she smokes marijuana multiple times a day and drinks (her due date is 4 days before mine...shes going to pop any day now).

And if she's continuing her habits, she's most likely going to pop a damaged baby. That might just resolve the big problem because if baby is damaged baby won't be going home with her right away, and might never go home with her. Both of those habits are dangerous for a fetus.

From what I understand, smoking weed is bad when breastfeeding...

Actually there's a lot of conflicting info and the jury is out on whether it's harmful in breastfeeding. It IS harmful in pregnancy.

But unless you're in Washington or Colorado, or unless you have a medical marijuana card, it is definitely illegal. I won't get into whether it should be or not; you have to deal with the world as it is.

and I know drinking, you have to plan ahead and pump before hand and what not.

Not correct. You don't have to plan. You just have to not get stinko drunk. If you have to plan to not get stinko drunk, then  you shouldn't be drinking in the first place. Even if you're a male who could never be pregnant.

I did ask her if she was going to stop smoking the weed, and she said...and I quote "for what? it's not gonna hurt her any."  If she breastfeeds and puts that shit in that baby's system...I wouldn't hesitate to report her to child services.  Am I wrong on this?  I'm assuming that it would be transfered to the baby and if the baby was tested, I would think it would come up positive? 

I'd have reporte her already if she's doing it in pregnancy.

I just don't think it's right if you drink and smoke weed to breastfeed because I would think it'd be harmful to the baby....thoughts, opinions...advice??  What can it do to the baby if she BFs while drinking/smoking weed??

Never mind that. If she's been doing it in pregnancy, the question is moot. If it's illegal to smoke pot in your state, the question is moot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN