Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I forcing this?

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi ladies! Nathan is now 14 months old, and nurses 3 times during waking hours. At night, he can sleep through the night, wake once to nurse, or wake twice, or three times max. Its different every night depending on what's going on. (usually he nurses more when teething and sick) But during the day, its a consistent three times. Morning, after his nap and before bed. Lately, Ive been noticing that during waking hours, he doesnt really ask me for milkies. It used to be, that when he wanted to nurse, he would just stand in front of me and whine really badly till I put two and two together, lol. But now, Im the one asking him if he wants milkies. The only time he ever really seems to NEED it is at night and before bed. Am I the one forcing this nursing relationship? I would love to get it to the point where he's only nursing during the day and sleeping through the night, but i know that is unrealistic. But what about during the day? Should I even offer it? Should I wait for him to come to me? I have a friend who has an 18 month old daughter and she said her daughter demands it like 4-5 times a day still! Thoughts?

by on May. 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

If you would like to continue to nurse then offer, NOT offering is a form of weaing ctually because they are busy toddlers and forget.  If your LO was ready to wean he wouldnt nurse even when offered.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

btw you can nightwean, offer more daytime and say its sleepy time and not nurse when its sleep time

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 6, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats what i was thinking too. Mine was down to 3-4x a day at that age but it was rare for him to get up at night.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

btw you can nightwean, offer more daytime and say its sleepy time and not nurse when its sleep time

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Toddlers get busy and forget to nurse. I offered until my Nathan was 2 and then we began don't offer don't refuse. If he didn't want to nurse, he wouldn't nurse when you offered. :)
amc103
by Alli on May. 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM

when he was about 12 months, I tried to up the day feedings to try and cancel out the night ones and night wean him and he wasent having it, lol! Maybe I should try it again? What can I do when he's screaming at night? It was so bad last time, I only lasted two nights. :-( 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

amc103
by Alli on May. 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Oooo, good to know! I never thought of it like that! Thank you for this information! :-)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If you would like to continue to nurse then offer, NOT offering is a form of weaing ctually because they are busy toddlers and forget.  If your LO was ready to wean he wouldnt nurse even when offered.

amc103
by Alli on May. 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Thank you! Im going to try and night wean him again-Im so tired of getting up at night! :-(

Quoting PolishMamma2: Thats what i was thinking too. Mine was down to 3-4x a day at that age but it was rare for him to get up at night.
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

amc103
by Alli on May. 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Thank you! He still gets excited when I offer it most times, but sometimes he doesnt want to...it changes from day to day! I think I'll just keep offering for a while and see what happens! Thank you for the info! :-) :-)

Quoting K8wizzo: Toddlers get busy and forget to nurse. I offered until my Nathan was 2 and then we began don't offer don't refuse. If he didn't want to nurse, he wouldn't nurse when you offered. :)

suebee3
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Kid's can become very busy during the day.  He could be losing the day feedings or starting to self wean.  It's all part of growing up

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Offering is not forcing, not offering would be encouraging the weaning process. I stopped offering the day after his first birthday, and he still nurses at least five times a day over a year later. As for night weaning I did it when I was pregnant because my milk had switched to colostrum and I was only being used for comfort nursing. So I can't help you there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)