Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Stress is killing my pumping supply...

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
  • 24 Replies
Without going into the saga of my life right now, let's just say I'm constantly stressed. I work ft at a likewise stressful job. I send DS2 to daycare with 10 ounces of bm, but in my time pumping at work, I'm only able to express 4-7 ounces total...

I only have two opportunities to pump at work, which didn't used to be a problem (I used to express a total of 9-12 ounces total).

DS2 is almost 9months. I have some frozen milk (not sure of the amount- I'd estimate around 50 ounces), but I've been using that to make up the difference - so I'm not sure how long it will last. I know it's too early to start cow's milk, and I really don't want to have to start formula -- so what can I do??
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on May. 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Pump first thing in the morning, every morning, working or not.
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Quoting Junebaby18: Pump first thing in the morning, every morning, working or not.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Exactly what the ladies said above. Your pump output is in the normal range for the number of times you're pumping, so I wouldn't expect to ever be able to pump more per session. So adding sessions is the answer.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Can you take a extra 15 min break at work?
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM
I work at a small, private school-- I'm lucky I can get two...

Quoting PolishMamma2: Can you take a extra 15 min break at work?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Start pumping every morning, working or not, before or during his first morning feeding. Look.up galactagogues on kellymom.com; there are several simple foods that are milk makers. Allow him to nurse without restriction when you are home. At jis age, he may learn to reverse cycle; taking less during the day and more from.you when you're with him. As long as he's going through a minimum of five diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two, all is well. You probably already know about the 1-1.25 ounces per hour rule and paced bottlefeeding, but if you need a refresher, see "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM
I honestly do not have time in the morning to add in a pumping session (he kicks and waves his arms too much to do it at the same time). My mornings are already part of my stress.

He's away from me from 7am to 4ish pm -- 9ish hours. I send 10 ounces-- he eats all of it. The daycare has already told me that I don't send enough... He does get some snacks there (those baby puffs things) and a little water with that.

He usually nurses more frequently whenever I'm around. I will definitely look into the milk makers, thanks!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Start pumping every morning, working or not, before or during his first morning feeding. Look.up galactagogues on kellymom.com; there are several simple foods that are milk makers. Allow him to nurse without restriction when you are home. At jis age, he may learn to reverse cycle; taking less during the day and more from.you when you're with him. As long as he's going through a minimum of five diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two, all is well. You probably already know about the 1-1.25 ounces per hour rule and paced bottlefeeding, but if you need a refresher, see "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Galactagogues are your friend. Bring some oatmeal cookies or granola bars with you to work. They'll help boost your pump output. Also warm compresses and compressions while you're pumping will help get you more. At his age he can also have food and water at daycare, not just puffs. Giving less food at home on days you work and letting him nurse on demand will make sure he gets enough milk to make up for whatever you can't send. You could also pump twice on your days off, once when you get up and another shortly after to help make sure you have enough to send.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I read about those. Definitely worth trying. As far as pumping on my days off, although I really dislike pumping, that's a good idea. He doesn't eat much at home anyway, so that one is easy!

Thanks

Quoting polkaspots: Galactagogues are your friend. Bring some oatmeal cookies or granola bars with you to work. They'll help boost your pump output. Also warm compresses and compressions while you're pumping will help get you more. At his age he can also have food and water at daycare, not just puffs. Giving less food at home on days you work and letting him nurse on demand will make sure he gets enough milk to make up for whatever you can't send. You could also pump twice on your days off, once when you get up and another shortly after to help make sure you have enough to send.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Get up first thing every morning even days off and pump, THIS is what keeps me making enough for my son.  He takes 8 oz a day and in my 2 sessions at work I used to get 16oz now I get 6-8.  BUT my morning pump is what keeps me ahead.  Using frozen milk will lower supply more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)