Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

This yeast keeps coming back!! **UPDATE- PLEASE READ*

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 19 Replies

I've been battling a yeast infection for about 3 months now. I didn't know what it was at first so I was just dealing with it thinking it was dry skin for a while. Once I got medicine, it cleared up. Then 2 weeks later I noticed it on my other breast. So I put the cream on that breast. NOW its BACK to the first breast!!!!! I even took DD to the doc thinking she had thrush and she doesn't. So we're not passing it back and forth. What is going on?

So I went to the doc today. He gave me diflucan (fluconazole). However, I see that most of the time it's only taken once. He is having me do 3 doses, which makes me a litte nervous. I don't want her stomach to get upset from it nor mine. Anyone have experiences with this stuff?

by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Was it medicine from the Dr.? Often that doesn't cure it, have you tried Gentian Violet yet? It was honestly the only thing that cured me. You can get it for about $6 at Walgreens, it is purple and will stain so use breast pads with it. Apply and let dry, baby is ok to nurse with it but might turn thier mouth purple. It only took 3 days for me and I was good as new! Also wash any bras, and tops in hot water and vinegar to kill any remaining yeast. GL!

coffeemom37043
by Dare on May. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Yeah it's from the doctor. I can't find anywhere around here that sells the Gentian Violet though =[ I guess I'll have to order it. How can I get the purple off her lips?

Quoting Careeka22:

Was it medicine from the Dr.? Often that doesn't cure it, have you tried Gentian Violet yet? It was honestly the only thing that cured me. You can get it for about $6 at Walgreens, it is purple and will stain so use breast pads with it. Apply and let dry, baby is ok to nurse with it but might turn thier mouth purple. It only took 3 days for me and I was good as new! Also wash any bras, and tops in hot water and vinegar to kill any remaining yeast. GL!

ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Treat an internal candida over growth. When this is a problem, often it will keep resurfacing outwardly. 

coffeemom37043
by Dare on May. 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Whats that mean?

Quoting ceckyl:

Treat an internal candida over growth. When this is a problem, often it will keep resurfacing outwardly. 

ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Google candida cleanse

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Whats that mean?

Quoting ceckyl:

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Oh bummer! It just wears off by itself in a day or 2, wipes helped get it off faster but it wasn't much of a concern. Usually I applied it after a nursing session so by the time she nursed again it was mostly dried.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Yeah it's from the doctor. I can't find anywhere around here that sells the Gentian Violet though =[ I guess I'll have to order it. How can I get the purple off her lips?

Quoting Careeka22:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM
To treat internal yeast takes dietary measures, chiefly removing all sugar and white flour products from your diet. Going gluten free wouldn't be a bad idea either, at least for a while. A course of Diflucan for you seems to be in order as well.
coffeemom37043
by Dare on May. 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Is that a cream? And is it for me or her?

Quoting MusherMaggie: To treat internal yeast takes dietary measures, chiefly removing all sugar and white flour products from your diet. Going gluten free wouldn't be a bad idea either, at least for a while. A course of Diflucan for you seems to be in order as well.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Quoting coffeemom37043:

Is that a cream? And is it for me or her?

Quoting MusherMaggie: To treat internal yeast takes dietary measures, chiefly removing all sugar and white flour products from your diet. Going gluten free wouldn't be a bad idea either, at least for a while. A course of Diflucan for you seems to be in order as well.

It's a prescription pill for you. And use the methods on kellymom.com to treat both of you as well.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM
If you have yeast on your breasts, you must treat your baby also, even if she has no symptoms! You ARE passing it back and forth. You need to wash everything that comes in contact with your breasts/milk and her mouth/saliva in hot water with vinegar to stop the spread. You can use coconut oil, olive oil, lanolin, or anything similar around her mouth and nose to reduce the staining from the Genetian violet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)