Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breast Feeding at School?

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • 26 Replies

Does your local high school have a room where mothers can go and breastfeed their babies?  When I had my first baby, my BF's mother was allowed to bring my daughter to school so that I could nurse her.  Pumping didn't work very well for me, and I would start to feel engorged if I couldn't nurse a couple of times during the day.  I'm pregnant again and most of the pregnant girls in this district  go to an alternative school.  I elected to stay in regular classes because I think the classes are more challenging..

by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My high school had a nursery for teachers and students.  You could go there to breastfeed, although I'm not sure anyone but the teachers did that.

jaxons_mama
by Allyson on May. 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM
My high school didn't have anywhere to breastfed. That I was aware of. And the few girls who got pregnant in high school droped out. And I only had 3 teachers all through out high school who had babies. But I'm sure whether they pumped or what.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM
I went to a Catholic, all girls high school. Anyone who got pregnant was kicked out/had to leave school.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 7, 2014 at 12:23 PM

NOPE most of the pregnant girls drop out after baby honestly

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Nope. My HS had no nursery or anything for pregnant teens. Honestly, I never saw a pregnant girl there and it was a HUGE HS (5,000 students). I'm sure someone got pregnant at some point, so I guess they went to an alternative HS?
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM

There was a nursery at my high school (I think? It seems to me that there were chilc care elective classes that did hands-on learning in there).  That was quite a while ago though as I graduated 16 years ago, lol.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I graduated in 1981... there was only ONE girl who got pregnant and stayed in school, and she didn't breastfeed.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM
This. And of all the pregnant girls who were in my school, and that was a lot, none of them breastfed beyond the first week, at least the 5 I knew. :-/

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

NOPE most of the pregnant girls drop out after baby honestly

mama_l
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Not that I'm aware of, in 4 years, there were only 2 girls pregnant and only 1 kept her child.
chickensmommy
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM
How many more years of HS do you have left? Maybe you are covered by some federal law... I know there's laws for working nursing mothers. If your school didn't have an issue with it the first time, why would they a second time?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN