Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Difference in gain BF vs FF *just in my kids*

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my oldest was born 5lb14oz and was 5lb11oz and two days later was 6lb6oz. At two months she was 11lbs and 4 months was 13lb9oz and 6 months she was 15lbs14oz. She was mostly formula fed with very little breastmilk pumped for maybe 3 weeks. She is now 5 lbs and weighs 34 lbs.

My middle child was 8lb3oz at birth. 8lbs0oz at discharge. 3 days later was 8lbs3oz. 2months was 11lb 14 oz. 4 months wS 15lbs 4oz. 6 month was 17 lbs6 oz and 9 months was 20 lbs even. She had some breast milk and some formula the first 3 weeks then all soy formula. She is now 3 and weighs 35 lbs.

My youngest was 7lbs 6oz. I'm not sure what she was at discharge (and I'm too lazy to get up and find her charts lol), but I know within the first week she was down to 6lb 11oz. The other day at 5 months she was 12lb 11oz. She has been mostly breastfed - she did get quite a bit of supplements for the first month or so in addition to nursing and since then is mostly breastfed with usually 1 4oz bottle of formula before bed, which I am working on cutting out. 

I guess the purpose of this post is just to show how big of a difference there is in growth patterns between formula fed and breast fed babies. It can be hard seeing breasfed baby growth/lack of growth in the early months when you are used to formula baby growth.

by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM
There was tremendous overgrowth in the first two, but some breastfed babies also gain at that rate for the first 3-4 months then slow down. Normal breastfed baby rate is an average of one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth, so even your breastfed baby was ahead for a while. And, unfortunately, most doctors know nothing but formula-fed rates and expect the same from breastfed babies; they are quick to blame the mother and her supply when gain does not meet their expectations.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM
I agree. My oldest was preemie and FF so I never compared his brother to him but it was hard not to compare him to his cousin that was 2 months older than him. He was ff and weighed 18 pounds by 6 months. My kiddo was 19 pounds at a year and weighed a pound and a half more at birth.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM
My 2 exclusively breastfed boys hit 20 lbs around 6 months but my 2 breastfed girls were 2 years old before the hit 20. For me I think the difference was with the boys I had undiagnosed and unmanaged oversupply and they were getting more than they bargained for. I was block feeding to control that oversupply with those next two and they were taking in more reasonable amounts. My boys though, after those first crazy 6 months, they grew very very slowly. They're all about the same pace now but the boys had a head start.

With my girls, the nitwit pediatrician was trying to tell me my milk must have lost nutrition around 9 months because their weight slowed down. Gee, I figured it was because they were starting to crawl and walk. Doctors are way too quick to point the finger at a breastfeeding mom.
Cassie2115
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM

My greatniece is a month and a half younger than my 5 month old and she's already 17 lbs (at 4 months) and she was 8lbs some odd oz at birth.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: I agree. My oldest was preemie and FF so I never compared his brother to him but it was hard not to compare him to his cousin that was 2 months older than him. He was ff and weighed 18 pounds by 6 months. My kiddo was 19 pounds at a year and weighed a pound and a half more at birth.

Cassie2115
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM

It's been a learning experience for me, for sure! The pedi we have right now is very pro-breastfeeding, but I don't think he knows as much about it as I'd like him to. I will definitely be taking what I've learned this time around and applying it more to next time!

Quoting MusherMaggie: There was tremendous overgrowth in the first two, but some breastfed babies also gain at that rate for the first 3-4 months then slow down. Normal breastfed baby rate is an average of one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth, so even your breastfed baby was ahead for a while. And, unfortunately, most doctors know nothing but formula-fed rates and expect the same from breastfed babies; they are quick to blame the mother and her supply when gain does not meet their expectations.

Firenygirl180
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM
My oldest was 9lbs 7.6 oz at birth. 9 lbs at discharge. He gained 1lb/week for the 8 weeks he was breastfed. Then we switched to formula.

Dd was 8 lbs 8 oz at birth, 8 lbs at discharge and exclusively breastfed until 10 months.

They both weighed 20 lbs at 6 months old and right around 22 lbs at a year.
ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM

MyE ebf boy was 24 ls at 3 mos, my ebf girl was 11 lbs at 3 mos.   I think it's just different abides are different!

svolkov
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:47 PM
My bf babies doubled their birth weight by 2-3 months. But slowed WAY down after and are all 3 slim$

Quoting MusherMaggie: There was tremendous overgrowth in the first two, but some breastfed babies also gain at that rate for the first 3-4 months then slow down. Normal breastfed baby rate is an average of one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth, so even your breastfed baby was ahead for a while. And, unfortunately, most doctors know nothing but formula-fed rates and expect the same from breastfed babies; they are quick to blame the mother and her supply when gain does not meet their expectations.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM
I think it mostly has to do with baby not formula or breast. My oldest was breastfed 6 weeks and then formula fed and was far and away my slowest gainer and to do this day is small. She was 9lbs at birth and only 11 at 3 months and 16.5 at a year old. She is almost 18 now and 4ft 10 and 95lbs. My next 4 were all exclusively breastfed and they all doubled their weight by 4 months. My twins are my biggest. They were 30lbs at a year old. They are 3.5 now and have been hanging somewhere around 45-50lbs. They are also very tall. They are built just like their daddy. My youngest was small at birth and is still small but following her own curve and she is exclusively breastfeed as well. She had a lip and tongue that we just got corrected and I'm hoping that will help her. Every baby is different and that's okay.
Seximama23
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM
My son is ebf with a few formula supplements when he has a bad nursing day.

He is 3 months.

Birth weight:5lbs 15oz discharge was 5 lbs 12 oz 3 days old he was back to birth weight. 6 days he was 6 lbs. 9 days he was 7 lbs. 2 weeks 8 lbs and 1 month 9 lbs. 2 months 11 lbs. Last weigh at 2.5 months he was 14 lbs 9.5 oz. He will be 4 months the 14.

He has gained fast. ..but will slow down.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN