Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Come help!

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
This is copied from another group (with permission)
She says the pain isn't from latching and there are no signs of ties
"
My newborn is 2.5 weeks old. I have breastfed him all but a handful of feedings. I know that there are many of you that believe in exclusive breastfeeding, and I want to do that, but please understand why I have given my son a bottle and offer any insight as to why what is happening is happening.

Breastfeeding goes well from 11pm-6pm the next day. Something happens from 6pm-11pm, and my baby wants to nurse non stop. As per advice, I offer him my breast when he wants to eat but there have been about 3 occasions where he screams, kicks, squirms, claws at me, and pulls my nipples and refuses to nurse. The first time this happened, I had attempted to nurse for 2 hours before I caved for the bottle because I just couldn't take the crying anymore and I felt in my heart that my baby was hungry. I cried and felt awful but as soon as he had the bottle, he was content.

Tonight, I had another episode where I attempted to feed him non stop from 6pm-9:30pm and I just caved. This is our 3rd time with this problem. My husband is feeding him and things seem better so far.

What am I doing wrong? I want my son to be a happy baby, but my breasts are hurting so badly from all of the stimulation that I am in pain and hearing him scream and yell hurts my heart. Also, why only during the evening? Lastly, there seems to be no pattern in what goes on during the day or anything that causes these massive outbursts.

Thanks for your help! I sincerely appreciate it.
"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Sounds kind of like growth spurt mixed with evening cluster feeding. My son was bottle fed breast milk at that age and he also acted the same way for about a week or two.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Evening is fussy time for most babies. Maybe because they are tired at thr end of the day, who knows.

Does she have overactive letdown? That could be baby's frustration. It ia very common at that age.

Third, she should see an ibclx to check the latch, even ties (some doctors and even.LCs can miss them)

Forth, if she absolutely must at that moment of frusration, give pumped.milk through a syringe while baby sucks dad's finger to avoid nipple confusiion and flow preference. Also, offer to nurse for every movement and before baby.syarts to cry, each and every time.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM
All 4 of mine did that at precisely the same time frame. First of all she's on the doorstep of the ugly 3 week grief spurt. With an over stimulated and overtired baby. And supply lowest at night so pissy baby has to work a little harder. It's normal, normal, normal. Just something you have to trudge through. Unfortunately at the same time moms newborn high has worn off and patience is starting to run thin. They call it the witching hour, or grandmother's hour, though typically lasts 3 hours, usually when you're the most fried and trying to get other kids to bath and bed and pack lunches.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Overactive letdown/oversupply, normal newborn growth spurt and behavior. Stop the bottles; they will prolong the problem. Reclined nursing; mother leans back, baby goes tummy-to-tummy with her vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Have a small towel ready to catch the initial strong letdown. Be sure his latch is correct, with his lips flanged out all the way around. He should open his mouth wide when latching, taking in some of the areola. If his latch is not correct, it should be fixed every time. He should also be checked for lip or tongue ties.
shalynoel
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM

This is actually a post of mine she copied since Google Chrome won't let me copy my posts for some reason! :)

I'm not sure if I have an overactive let down or not. I know I can feel when it happens, and sometimes it can happen twice in a feeding. Is that considered too much? 

I do believe I'm going to pump tomorrow. I was advised not to pump this early, so I have avoided it. 

Also, there is a local breastfeeding group that meets on Mondays and I think I may go this week while my husband is at work and my older child is in school. Perhaps just having local support will help and also I can have some people take a look at his latch. 

Quoting Precious333: Evening is fussy time for most babies. Maybe because they are tired at thr end of the day, who knows. Does she have overactive letdown? That could be baby's frustration. It ia very common at that age. Third, she should see an ibclx to check the latch, even ties (some doctors and even.LCs can miss them) Forth, if she absolutely must at that moment of frusration, give pumped.milk through a syringe while baby sucks dad's finger to avoid nipple confusiion and flow preference. Also, offer to nurse for every movement and before baby.syarts to cry, each and every time.

shalynoel
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM

This post was from me actually!  Mommy's patience/lack of sleep is catching up with her! :) My husband helps soooo much, but this is one area he can't help in. How long do people typically "trudge through"? haha

Quoting mostlymaydays: All 4 of mine did that at precisely the same time frame. First of all she's on the doorstep of the ugly 3 week grief spurt. With an over stimulated and overtired baby. And supply lowest at night so pissy baby has to work a little harder. It's normal, normal, normal. Just something you have to trudge through. Unfortunately at the same time moms newborn high has worn off and patience is starting to run thin. They call it the witching hour, or grandmother's hour, though typically lasts 3 hours, usually when you're the most fried and trying to get other kids to bath and bed and pack lunches.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Try not to pump--it will make the problem worse. Hand express just enough to relieve discomfort/soften the breast to make latching on easier. Look up overactive letdown/oversupply on kellymom.com. It's actually a very common problem but easily managed once you know how.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Quoting polkaspots: This is copied from another group (with permission) She says the pain isn't from latching and there are no signs of ties " My newborn is 2.5 weeks old. I have breastfed him all but a handful of feedings. I know that there are many of you that believe in exclusive breastfeeding, and I want to do that, but please understand why I have given my son a bottle and offer any insight as to why what is happening is happening. Breastfeeding goes well from 11pm-6pm the next day. Something happens from 6pm-11pm, and my baby wants to nurse non stop.
Normal for the age. It's a sign of a living breathing baby. **grin**
As per advice, I offer him my breast when he wants to eat but there have been about 3 occasions where he screams, kicks, squirms, claws at me, and pulls my nipples and refuses to nurse.
Then put him down for a few and walk away. It's OK to do this! More than likely he wasn't actually hungry.
The first time this happened, I had attempted to nurse for 2 hours before I caved for the bottle because I just couldn't take the crying anymore and I felt in my heart that my baby was hungry.
I cried and felt awful but as soon as he had the bottle, he was content. Tonight, I had another episode where I attempted to feed him non stop from 6pm-9:30pm and I just caved. This is our 3rd time with this problem. My husband is feeding him and things seem better so far. What am I doing wrong? I want my son to be a happy baby, but my breasts are hurting so badly from all of the stimulation that I am in pain and hearing him scream and yell hurts my heart. Also, why only during the evening? Lastly, there seems to be no pattern in what goes on during the day or anything that causes these massive outbursts. Thanks for your help! I sincerely appreciate it. "

Evenings are the true test of bonding. Newborns are HORRID CREATURES in the evening. If you haven't eaten him, you're bonded perfectly.

I'd never attempt to feed for more than 15 minutes. At that point, I take it as "baby wants the world to get lost" and I put him down for a bit. Usually that's enough to calm baby down.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Five solid weeks here. Mine survived to become a teenager... and I'll trade you. (If you thought being a parent was going to be fun, let me disabuse you of the notion!)

Quoting shalynoel:

This post was from me actually!  Mommy's patience/lack of sleep is catching up with her! :) My husband helps soooo much, but this is one area he can't help in. How long do people typically "trudge through"? haha=

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM
I wouldnt do bottles or pump, but if you are giving a bottle, is it formula? If you are giving bottles and not pumping than you will have a supply problem down the road. Have you been on www.kellymom.com and looked up overactive letdown for symptoms?

Quoting shalynoel:

This is actually a post of mine she copied since Google Chrome won't let me copy my posts for some reason! :)

I'm not sure if I have an overactive let down or not. I know I can feel when it happens, and sometimes it can happen twice in a feeding. Is that considered too much? 

I do believe I'm going to pump tomorrow. I was advised not to pump this early, so I have avoided it. 

Also, there is a local breastfeeding group that meets on Mondays and I think I may go this week while my husband is at work and my older child is in school. Perhaps just having local support will help and also I can have some people take a look at his latch. 

Quoting Precious333: Evening is fussy time for most babies. Maybe because they are tired at thr end of the day, who knows.

Does she have overactive letdown? That could be baby's frustration. It ia very common at that age.

Third, she should see an ibclx to check the latch, even ties (some doctors and even.LCs can miss them)

Forth, if she absolutely must at that moment of frusration, give pumped.milk through a syringe while baby sucks dad's finger to avoid nipple confusiion and flow preference. Also, offer to nurse for every movement and before baby.syarts to cry, each and every time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)