Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

great weight gain so there doctor lol

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM
  • 3 Replies
Well I should say the nurse practitioner. Liam was born 8 pounds 11 oz and by day 4 had went down to 7 pounds 7 oz. He was jaundiced from a rough birth and needing to be vacuumed out and to top t of it took until day 5 for my milk to come in. Needless to say, the nurse had literally brought formula into the room and said feed him now. It was recommend i supplement. Well after crying I did for about 24 hours. So he has gotten maybe 6 of formula over 24 hours because I would supplement after nursing etc. Fast forward it took just until 18 days instead of the regular 14 for him to hit birth weight and today at 7 weeks he was at 11 lbs 13 oz so 3 pound gain in 5 weeks! And that doc wanted me to use formula. Yay for breast milk
by on May. 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Good for you!

And 14 days to hit birthweight isn't always a reasonable expectation. Considering your baby's loss, it was not reasonable. He'd lost 20 ounces; even if he gained six ounces a week it would take more than three weeks to get back to birth weight. And six ounces is a reasonable gain expectation for one week!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM
My third also took longer than two weeks to get to birth weight. He was a few ounces under at two weeks, and exactly birth weight at three weeks. But he was making enough diapers the whole time. He just lost a lot in the beginning because he was basically asleep the first week of his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 10, 2014 at 1:45 AM
This!

And yay for booby milk! 😊

Quoting gdiamante:

Good for you!

And 14 days to hit birthweight isn't always a reasonable expectation. Considering your baby's loss, it was not reasonable. He'd lost 20 ounces; even if he gained six ounces a week it would take more than three weeks to get back to birth weight. And six ounces is a reasonable gain expectation for one week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)