Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Throwing up

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

My baby will be a month old in 5 days. Today she started throwing up breastmilk, both from the breast and pumped, in thee middle of feedings. I finally got her to keep some formula down (Similac sent me a sample pack in the mail). My mom thinks because I ate spaghetti for dinner and cinnamon rolls for breakfast that she's allergic to tomatoes or cinnamon. Her temp is only 98.6. Poor baby screams every time she wakes up now. I'm afraid to hurt her tummy trying to breastfeed again.

Thoughts?

by on May. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt jump to the food being the reason.  Right around this time my babies started to do this and that was becasue my letdown was drowning them.  Try nursing with her over your breast instead of under and see if that helps.  She could be screaming becasue formula is very hard on the tummy.  Was she screaming before you tried the formula when she spit up?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
awsmnss26
by on May. 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I doubt she is allergic to those things might just be too spicy for her little tummy. Try giving her a half ounce maybe every 10 min and see if she keeps it down.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
She could have a bit of a bug, even without fever. Most likely, through, she just hot more milk than she could handle at one time. Try reclining to nurse: you lean she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.,
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM

She goes something like "suck suck gulp gulp gulp suck suck gulp gulp gulp suck suck spit-up cry" so maybe she isgetting too much ... But she is in a body cast so the only position we can do is cross cradle ...
 Yes she was crying hard before the formula

Quoting shortyali:

I wouldnt jump to the food being the reason.  Right around this time my babies started to do this and that was becasue my letdown was drowning them.  Try nursing with her over your breast instead of under and see if that helps.  She could be screaming becasue formula is very hard on the tummy.  Was she screaming before you tried the formula when she spit up?

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Hmm ... tonight we will do some experimenting with positioning ... tummy to tummy may work ...

Quoting MusherMaggie: She could have a bit of a bug, even without fever. Most likely, through, she just hot more milk than she could handle at one time. Try reclining to nurse: you lean she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN