Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Trouble getting him down at night *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

Update:

So last night Brayden woke up at 5pm and was pretty much awake until I started to put him down at 9pm.  Hubby went out to water the lawn so I tried putting him down.  I nursed and nursed and when he was completely out, I laid him in his crib.  He slept for a few mins and then opened his eyes.  He fought and fought sleep but was quiet so I left him to see if he would drift off.  When he started fussing 20 mins later, hubby went up and tried.  After about 10 mins, I went and nursed him again but then had hubby take him from me, rock him for a couple mins and lay him down.  When hubby laid him down, he stayed down...again.  He slept from 11pm-6am.  I'm still totally baffled as to why hubby can lay him down and I can't but, I guess we'll just go with it for now.  Not sure what I'm going to do on the nights when hubby is out for softball though... 

My son is 2 1/2 weeks old.  He is my 3rd but my middle is nearly 5 so it's been a while. 

We've always used bottles and have introduced bottles to Brayden as well.  I want him to take one but also plan to bf more than I did with my last baby.  I just want the option of the bottle available.  Since he came home he's been going to bed very easily.  9pm-4am was a typical stretch for him and then he would come into bed with me and I would finish out the night nursing him and then he would just fall asleep next to me.  For the last couple days, he falls asleep nursing as usual but within 2 mins of laying him down, he's up screaming.  Last night I spent 40 mins feeding and rocking him but same result.  He came off the breast himself and was totally asleep as I rocked him before putting him in the crib.  My husband took 1oz of milk upstairs, Brayden drank about 3/4 of it and was out for the night.  I don't want to have to rely on my husband giving him a bottle at night though. 

Any ideas why Brayden is having so much trouble when I put him down vs. my husband with the bottle?  If he's still hungry, fine but I did the nurse, lay down, wake up crying, nurse more, etc. routine 3 times on Friday night and it never changed.  I finally just fell asleep with him nursing and my husband transferred him to the pack and play next to my bed an hour or so later.  I don't really mind sleeping with him but my hips and shoulders start hurting from being in the same position for so long.

by on May. 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM
That's the age when all 4 of mine slept on my chest, I never even attempted to transfer them away from me. 3 week growth spurt is a mutha. We just muddled through. It's a bit early to be pumping and offering bottles as you're still in the earliest stages of supply regulation and you sure don't want to shoot yourself in the foot now with bottle preference or nipple confusion. But if at this stage you said the baby was attached to you for 23 hours of the day i wouldn't be shocked.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on May. 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
3 week growth spurt! His sleep cycles will change many times in the next year. Just when you get used to his schedule, he changes it. I'm dealing with that now since my ds is 7 weeks and he's my 4th baby. Next youngest will be 3 next month.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM
He needs to nurse frequently, and nursing to sleep is normal. I would hold off on bottles and pacifiers until your supply is established and regulated. He is fresh out of the womb--he needs your closeness and comfort. He is also about to go into the first growth spurt, so nursing on demand, without restrictions, is very important for the both of you. Every baby is different; what worked for your first may not work for your current baby.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Also, bottles should not be given by you and should only be given when you can't be there to nurse. See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com for more information.
Luvmy2babies22
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Thank you all for the input. I can't believe how many little things i have totally forgotten about newborns. I think I'm still curious as to why he went down fine for hubby and not me. It appeared as if he had nursed himself full since he was fast asleep so I'm still a bit baffled
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Thank you all for the input. I can't believe how many little things i have totally forgotten about newborns. I think I'm still curious as to why he went down fine for hubby and not me. It appeared as if he had nursed himself full since he was fast asleep so I'm still a bit baffled

He may have been overstuffed with the bottle. Another reason not to use them so soon; if your husband is giving a bottle you would need to be pumping at the same time. Let dad bond in other ways, particularly this early in the game.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Dont compair him to your other kids. He could just be more high needs.
Luvmy2babies22
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM

bump for update

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Cool! You nurse, hand him off to dh, and they have their special time while you go relax for a bit. :) Enjoy it! On softball nights, keep doing what you're doing and if he doesn't go down until dh gets home, then you just keep nursing and snuggling.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Dh was alsp good about laying the kids down. At that age all they really want is be with mommy, its like the fourth trimester, remember they were literally attached to you when they were in your belly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN