Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding causing PPD?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM
  • 6 Replies
Can it? I got PPD pretty bad with my DS. He was EBF then i stopped nursing him when he was 6 months, eversince stopping I've been getting so much better with PPD. Could it be a hormone thing because of breastfeeding? Idk. I just find it odd.
by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Look up D-mer, it causes symptoms similar to ppd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dearestrachy
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Wow. I never knew that was such a thing! Thank you!

Quoting polkaspots: Look up D-mer, it causes symptoms similar to ppd.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:45 AM
No problem. If I'm not mistaken there are medications you can take if you were to relactate or have another child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeeding doesn't cause PPD. Stopping too soon or abruptly might. More likely yours eased up because of time. If you experience it again, many medications are safe for treatment while nursing. It's only my experience, but mine was worse with my second. Nursing kept me from completely losing it and kept me bonded with my baby.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
The hormones produced while breastfeeding help PPD, meaning that it could be worse when not breastfeeding than while breastfeeding.
Did you look up D-MER yet? D-MER.org is the website with the information.
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I found that nursing actually reduced my PPD symptoms with DD and DS2.  Even now at almost 18 months with DS2, if I start to feel down and what not I up the number of times Im nursing and I start to feel a little better.

With DS1 I was bullied into weaning at 7 weeks and PPD hit me so hard that my DH and my mom wouldnt leave me alone ever, expecially not with my son.  I was put on 75mg of Zoloft and I had to see a theripist 3 times a week.  I do not remember much of anything from DS1's 1st year of life.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)